Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Who would own the copyright to the Finder GUI? I recently read a book on writing and selling your own software that from the moment I start writing my Finder GUI, that I OWN the copyright to my Finder simulation. This is true. Is this correct?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
It's probably alittle more complex.....

But ultimately if you produce anything original, then as the producer of the work, you own copyright to your work.......

Well that's what it's like in a nutshell in the UK.......

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I don't really understand what you are asking. Are you going to skin the current GUI? Or are you actually writing an application that replaces the Finder? :confused:

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
The book I was reading came fro the UK-would Apple send mne a cease and desist letter about mny copyrifgted FINDER gui?

If you were copying the actual look and design, then certainly a letter would be in the post!!, as with regards to the functionality, I very much doubt it unless it was a complete copy, and obviously you had not added anything original..... or tried to develop it further!! basically if you were merely recreating both the look and functionality of Apples finder, again probably expect a letter!!

I would say you'll probably be pretty safe if you are making your own finder type GUI, although Apple may have copyright on the term Finder, so you may want to consider another term, discoverer, navigator..... something like that....

On Apples website, there is a breakdown of the patents and copyrights that it owns, it may be worth checking there!!

Hope this helps you a little, let me know how you get on!!

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
It's for PC users who may be interested in desktop shells- it is mac style shell. OK, I put "Babya" in front of the word Finder-so you would refer to it as Babya Finder. Also it does use aqua-icons, but they are converted. Also "Quick access" is different from "Go", the control panel uses tabs instead of window panels, it has a mp3 player-differentb from itunes, a different instakler, different help system aboiut dialog box.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by aafuss1
It's for PC users who may be interested in esktop shells- it is mac style shell.
In that case, Apple would probably be all over you in no time...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's for PC users who may be interested in desktop shells- it is mac style shell. OK, I put "Babya" in front of the word Finder-so you would refer to it as Babya Finder. Also it does use aqua-icons, but they are converted. Also "Quick access" is different from "Go", the control panel uses tabs instead of window panels, it has a mp3 player-differentb from itunes, a different instakler, different help system aboiut dialog box.

You said it yourself... it's a "Mac-style" shell... so you can't expect to own rights to it if you copied it.

arn

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Beej
In that case, Apple would probably be all over you in no time...
Agreed! Apple even had a couple of good Style XP themes to make your Windows XP look like OS X removed from themexp.org, god knows what they would do if you wrote a new aqua shell for WinXP.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
You'll likely own the copyright to the code, there's not a problem there, but if it looks anything like Aqua, or visibly like the Apple interface then that's where the problem will occur.....

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, in fact I do own thje copyright since I first started programming it.

Apple will be all over you if you make it freely available (Windows XP theme scenario), but if you tried to sell it, you wouldn't last a minute under the unrelenting Apple Lawyer SWAT team.

If you want to make it, don't use anything remotely Apple, and I'd get rid of the name Finder.

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
Umm... Lets say you made a theme for XP and you designed and coded EVERYTHING, But it resembled the Finder/Mac GUI... Apple would probably get you with copyright infringement and who knows what else they would do. In conclusion, IF IT RESEMBLES ANYONE ELSES COPYRIGHT/PATENT THEY CAN TAKE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST YOU!!!

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Hey, aafuss1. I'm an attorney, and as such, I strongly suggest you go spend a lot of money trying to develop and sell your copyrighted work.

I love nothing more than seeing people get squished by the big bad mega firms that represent big corps.

Make sure you keep us all in mind and give us updates on your case. Oh, be sure also to fill us in on what your legal bills are each month and how that is fitting into your budget.

LOL, go for it.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
dont you guys remember this guy? he spammed this site a few months ago. a few dozen threads and posts about his stupid babya system here are a few links so you can remember his brilliant work:

link 1

link 2

basically all he has done is stolen the icons from osx and converted them into windoze icons. but take a look there are lots of pictures and lots of angry people telling him to go away.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Oh, this is great! Ha, to laugh. Sorry, got a little carried away there.

But some of those quotes

'748s: it's still butt ugly.

aafuss1: No, it's not ugly-it is quite elegant

748s: my butt will look better'

Thanks for the heads up there Ambitious Lemon.

So aafuss1, are you saying you want apple to contact you? My morbid curiousity wants to know what would you possibly be hoping to gain from that?

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
I wanted see if Apple would be ok with me abou this. They evenb say (a imac) brochire for pc users there's nothing like it any price (about iphoto=-that is mislreading- Ulead, Adobe evvenm MS sells consumer editing programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.