Corbyn wins Labour party elections in a landslide victory.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by juanm, Sep 12, 2015.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

I'm very pleased about this, but I'm also aware he probably faces a underhanded smear campaign yet. English politics has become really quite pathetic.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I wonder which way emulation is being directed across the pond. ;)

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I would have preferred Cooper as winner.

But if the Labour party prefer to go the route of self-indulgance and ultimate party breakup then they're more than welcome.

Happy days! ;)

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Very good to hear he's leader. I've never voted Labour before (they always felt like Diet Conservative). So some left-leaning politics would be nice, especially considering how right Europe is leaning these days.

6. juanm, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

Exactly. It's a matter of balance. I assumed that if he won, the Labour establishment would find a way to put him away, but with a result like this (60% is astounding), they might have to accept that people are serious about wanting a change.

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The problem for Labour (beyond the limited appeal of far left politics for most of the general public) is that the vote results open a huge rift between the party membership who voted Corbyn in, and the Parliamentary Labour Party itself. He therefore has to deal with implementing the mandate his supporters have given him using a group of colleagues who may not share his views.

It would be hypocritical to expect the loyalty of his peers. His own voting record is one of the most disloyal - in the last 10 years of the previous Labour government, Corbyn voted against his party approx 24% of the time.

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?id=uk.org.publicwhip/member/1655&showall=yes

It's only a few hours after his win, and already eight members of the shadow cabinet, including the shadow chancellor have resigned!

It'll be interesting to see what further resignations and defections the next few days will bring.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Perhaps the MP's in the Labour Party who described Corbyn's views as rooted in the past should consider their future in politics. Only a fool would think that the public would endure the Great Recession without a strong reaction to ever-widening gap between rich and poor.

New Labour was like Tory-Lite, as was the Lid-Dems. It didn't work out too well for the latter, and now we'll see the diminution into irrelevance of the former. Corbyn does not have to convince voters that widespread rebalancing of the society is possible - he only has to convince them he will be earnest and pragmatic in the effort. So far, so good, but I do not agree with his views on NATO. Perhaps if Russia were rattling its sword less, but yet another pair of Russian bombers probed the area around UK air space just days ago.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

They're clinking the champagne glasses at Tory HQ.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This is Michael Foot all over again, and how did that end. Another ten years in the wilderness. Support from McCluskey is like the kiss of death.

11. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

You're confusing the grassroots Labour supporters with the General Public. We had a general election only four months ago, and all the background opinion polls suggested that Labour failed to win because it was too left wing, not the opposite. This is why Corbyn has little support in the PLP - they think he'll make the party unelectable.

Actually the Tory party subsumed a lot of the better Lib dem policies and moved leftwards. This is what forced both the Libdems and Labour out.

His following also appears to be extremely antisemitic, reflecting Corbyn's own support for right wing Islamic groups. This angle will not play well in the country at all.

Conservative Central Office knows this. See if you can count the number of times CCO press releases will mention the word 'security' in the weeks ahead.

12. VulchR, Sep 12, 2015

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sigh. It seems that many believe that the right has won the argument about the economy because of events in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Many people now in the UK weren't even born then or were not in the UK to experience this. Moreover, austerity and privatisation has done as much to damage public services as any strike, and the accumulating effects of this are being noticed by the electorate, as is wealth inequality and inequality of opportunity.

As for the Tories, they might be drinking champaign, but if they are, it is because they are so out of touch that they have not noticed that they managed <40% of the popular vote in the last election.

EDIT:

Funny you say that, for I live within a few miles of an RAF base that was closed by the Tories, who, as I recall, want to count services to veterans as part of the defence budget. 'Security' indeed. My point is that the Tories have had no serious opposition on philosophical grounds, so the opposition and press having be gleefully swallowing the Tory Kool Aid. At least some of the outright propaganda will now be exposed because the opposition will not be complicit in it.

13. zin macrumors 6502

For the first time ever I am considering not voting for Labour. His policies on directly borrowing money from the Bank of England, scrapping our nuclear deterrent, raising taxes on anyone earning over £50,000, hardly rich, and pulling out of NATO are simply not responsible and are beginning to alienate.

It's going to be a sad world when in 2020 I may even end up voting Conservative just to maintain common sense.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

You do understand that those Russian planes were flying in INTERNATIONAL air space, and every right to do so, under international LAW.

15. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Don't be so wilfully naive. :rolleyes:

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

What is wilfully naive?
    Those planes were flying in INTERNATIONAL airspace, they have every right to do so, under international LAW.

You are starting sound like the Daily Mail.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Arf,BBC and Guardian journalists holding ears and screaming,no,no,no. Corbyn is a social democrat and vaguely left of centre.If they think this is far left they have a lot of waking up to do.

Re the Russian planes flying up to UK airspace (two Concorde like bombers by the way,probably only supersonic bombers in service,but old) Nato does this every day of the week (and gets caught often) not a a word in MSM.

18. zin macrumors 6502

There is no reason for Russian planes to be shadowing American and British airspace and dangerously buzzing American naval ships. You are being naive. The Russians don't do this because it's legal. They do it to taunt, to test the response times of the USAF and the RAF, and to push the limits of naval commanders at sea. The USA and UK do not engage in these kinds of aggressive flyovers close to national airspace. Russia does it because Mr. Putin likes to let the Americans and British know that they're always in the corner of their eyes.

The man is psychotic. He broke international law by invading territory that did not belong to Russia. And you think he should be trusted to fly close to national airspace just because it's legal? There's nothing Daily Mail-esque about that. I want eyes and ears watching every Russian military aircraft and warship shadowing our airspace and maritime borders.

19. Happybunny, Sep 12, 2015

Happybunny macrumors 68000

You do realise that NATO undertakes aggressive air patrols in the Baltic up to 200 meters from Russian air space, they are in INTERNATIONAL air space so no harm no foul.

As to invading sovereign countries the UK is hardly in a position to claim the moral high ground.(ie Iraq 2003)

I find it strange that the UK is paranoid about Russia, when Russian billionaires own so much of London.

20. zin macrumors 6502

Source please. Are they intercepting Russian aircraft and policing the airspace of the Baltic states (which is an official mission of NATO) or doing the same as the Russians and taunting the country? I've searched Google for "NATO aircraft flying close to Russia" and the only results I get are of the opposite.

Are you saying that because the UK and USA did it using false intelligence for Iraq that it's okay for Russia to do it now (and even worse than the UK/USA, given that their objective was not to annex Iraq)?

Why wouldn't you be concerned about a country that illegally annexed another, and then proceeds to test your country's air and naval defences? Russia doesn't exactly have the most cooperative and friendly history, either.

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Have a look at the Hainan Island incident or further back the shooting down of Gary Powers (at the time the US thought the U2's were untouchable) and you'll see how the reality of this goes.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

So this Corbyn thing, is it history's first or second longest suicide note?

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I know that Corbyn is painted as being something of a loose cannon, but, I do think that many people in many countries are getting very, very tired of being told that they have to accept high unemployment while the rich and super-rich continue to consume more, get richer, and get more politically powerful.

24. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

I suggest you read "By all means necessary" and Blind Man's Bluff. Both very american, by the way, so no bias. I also hate Putin with a passion, but tickling the adversary is a game both sides have played (and the US much more often than the Russians, it would seem).

25. aaronvan, Sep 12, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A fascinating book.