Core applications don’t work

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by AcesHigh87, Oct 27, 2013.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

When I installed Mavericks I was expecting a few third party applications not to be compatible, this is normal with a major update and I get that.

What I was not expecting is built in apple apps to not be responsive. The problem lies mainly in Apple Mail and System Preferences.

Mail won’t open at all. I get the indicator light saying it’s open but it beachballs immediately (no window even present) and has to be force quit.

System prefs works a LITTLE better in that I can get it to open but it takes about 30 seconds of not responding before doing so and is then slow and laggy while I try to do anything on it.

These are apple programs, they should be as responsive with the new OS X as anything and yet have basically made this update hell for me. Am I alone in this? Would going back to ML and re-installing Mavericks be better or is there just something wrong with it that needs to be patched?

2. adammgaines macrumors member

No problems here with mail.

However system preferences takes forever to open.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Mail opens eventually for me but takes about an hour before I get the main window. Sys Prefs is slow sometimes but not as bad as Mail.

4. OmniDragon macrumors newbie

OmniDragon

Same here. Haven't figured out the cause of it, yet. But, you are not alone when it comes to System Preferences taking forever to launch. And I still have the "scrollbars not disappearing" issue and have no idea how to fix that either.

5. AcesHigh87, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I don’t like to bump but I still cannot get mail to open at all. Does anyone have a solution here?

I like apple’s built in mail, I would rather not switch to a third party app, but I’ll have to if I can’t open my email client at all.

I’m guessing it has something to do with Internet Accounts being changed in mavericks since that’s the section of System prefs that seems to hang. I’m trying to delete them all and see if mail works but can barely get into the GUI.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

How big is your ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Accounts.plist file? It should be less than 100K. Mine was 40MB because Mail had repeated my hotmail entry thousands of times. After editing it down to a single entry, mail has been behaving itself for several days now.

7. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

That’s up at 30MB so it could be the culprit. I’ll take a look at it.

Edit: Yeah, looks like hotmail is in there about a million times. problem is I don’t really know what this file is supposed to look like in order to trim it. Any idea what to do?

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Best thing to do is delete and setup your email accounts again. Make a backup copy first.

9. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Yeah, I’m doing that now, seems to be working which is good. I should have thought of it really, microsoft products are the root of all trouble.