Core Duo Macbook Hard Drive as External or how to rip info from logic board bust one

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by luk88, Jan 18, 2009.

1. luk88 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

Basically I believe my logic board to be fried, the evening before it was slow and then when I tried to turn it on the next morning the error message saying i need to restart it came up but it was not totally blue instead had what looked like black dead pixels everywhere. After this when I turn it on i get the power light and disk checking noise but nothing on screen its dead.

I need whats on that Hard Drive but cant turn the computer on so any option? Are there any caddys out there? or any ways of this at all?

Thanks in advance

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you have another Firewire equipped mac around, you may be able to use Target Disk Mode to get the data off the drive. If not, yes, just get a 2.5" Hard Drive case from Fry's/BestBuy/NewEgg/Wherever, and it'll turn your internal drive to an external USB drive. Just make sure you get an IDE (PATA) interface case, as the older Macbooks don't use the SATA connection

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No. All the MacBooks have always used SATA drives.

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I'm pretty sure Target Disk Mode is out of the question.
    However, you should just be sure that the Logic Board is actually fried before throwing it away.
    Who knows, it might just be the display...

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Whoops.

Guess it was just the optical drive that wasn't SATA before then?