Core i7 Laptop gets 1hr battery life and weighs 12Ibs! (Puts things in perpective)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barkmonster, May 1, 2009.

1. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Core-i7-laptop-workstation-Eurocom,7188.html

Basically, all the features everyone's being begging for since forever with just 2 pesky problems:-

1) Pathetic Battery life

2) Enormous size and weight

Doesn't it make you a bit happier that apple are waiting things out a little longer before moving up from Core 2 Duo's in at least the laptops and Mac Mini's?

2. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Oh come on, this is clearly a desktop replacement rather than a full-fledged notebook. They even list the battery as having "1 hour of battery backup in case of power failure". This is surely using desktop class parts not to mention three (yes, three) hard drives all of which is running off that 12 cell battery. Personally, I'm surprised they got an hour out of it but it doesn't put things in persepctive at all. Try to run a full-fledged workstation rig off a laptop battery, get a life expectency under an hour, big surprise. It doesn't compete with any product Apple (or for that matter any other manufacturer as far as I know) offer and it's unfair to compare it as such.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's a server on your lap. Nothing of Apple's is anywhere near this, they are not in this market, and you can't compare this to anything.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

5. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It was more of a comment on the features people keep begging for and the extent apple would have to got to if they put them all in a theoretically "Perfect Laptop". Blu-ray, RAID, Full size Keyboard etc...

6. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

The press release says the internal built-in battery is a backup in case of power failure. They even refer to it at an UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply). At 12 pounds and over 2 inches thick can you really still call it a laptop? Sounds more like a portable desktop machine that happens to have a screen attached.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

8. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The computer might not ever exist, its just a concept for an upcoming model, id be suprised if they actually made one that didnt melt when used on someones lap.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple doesn't make a laptop with desktop processors though.

There's only one desktop that users non-mobile processors as well.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

INCREDIBLE! very confusing website however :confused:

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

13. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

There's meant to be a 32nm, low power mobile Core i7 coming in Q4 this year. If Apple could somehow squeeze in the room for 2 internal drives and a Blu-ray burner, it would be pretty close. I've always wondered why apple don't offer a simple way to re-purpose the optical drive bay. It would be great if it simply snapped it and out and a second HD on a caddy could be fitted. I know you'd need 3 drive bays to have RAID as well but they could use a mini-USB connector on the removable optical drive like some SSDs have to solve that problem. You'd just hook the optical drive up to an available USB port and problem solved.

For audio work I'd love a system with an SSD to boot from and a partitioned magnetic drive for recording to and storing patching or completed mix downs.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't think that Apple has the desire for another laptop like the Pismo.

15. iMacmatician macrumors 601

45 nm Clarksfield appears to be 35 W (25 W Penryn equivalent), but tops out at 2.0 GHz.

16. polya80 macrumors member

Full specs from Eurocom:

1. High-performance upgradeable 64-bit Dual or Quad core Intel XEON processors
    2. Fully 64-bit compliant hardware
    3. 8 GB of high performance memory,
    4. Large capacity, high performance, redundant storage with RAID 0/1/5 three physical hard drives and up to 1.5 TB of storage
    5. Internal 17-inch LCD display
    6. Internal built-in battery; 1 hour of battery backup in case of power failure
    7. High capacity optical Re-writable Blu Ray drive storage, perfect data backup
    8. Long lifespan
    9. Built-in 102-key desktop-like full size keyboard with separate numeric keypad
    10. Multiple I/O Ports: 1Gigabit Ethernet LAN; 4 USB 2.0, FireWire, serial and parallel ports, CRT and DVI-D for 2 external displays. Optional 2nd Gigabit Ethernet is available via PC Express slot.
    11. Wireless: Built-in WLAN 802.11a/g/n and Bluetooth 2.0

I am sure Apple will be able to fit all these cool feature in it's MBP at some point in the future while maintaining a good battery life and relatively light weight :apple:

Go Apple!

17. Shiner macrumors 6502

Please tell me you are joking. The PC world will see this in a "normal" laptop two years before apple sells it. The entire mac lineup is mobile processors for christ's sake!

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have a problem with something that weighs like or more than 10 lbs and is thicker than my Elemental Physics text book.

I would rather wait for Apple to come with their own elegant solution in a year.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Except for the Mac Pro of course.

Yeah that Eurocom computer is a joke; plus their website is horrible.

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

It will be much, much longer than a year.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I got time, I'll wait.:p;)

22. Sn0wball macrumors regular

32nm Arrandale shrink in late Q4 2009 which will be dual core, unlike the Clarksfield (quad core only). Apparently this is due to retailer pressure as there is still a stockpile of existing dual core chips to clear (perhaps due to the world recession, less sales, etc.).

Back to the subject, very few Apple users would require three hard-drives, especially all in raid (forcing all three drives to work at the same time)!

Love,
    Sn0wy

23. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

A lot of scientific equipment still only have serial and parallel ports. Especially since they can have very long life spans compared to other computer equipment.

This is probably meant for engineers and scientists whom need a powerful and reliable computer in the field: Xeon processor, optional workstation video card, RAID 5, Blu Ray for data backup or sending findings to the lab. Portables like these will likely spend a lot of their lives hooked up to portable generators, hence the the built in UPS.

I don't think the term notebook applies to this. More like portable computer. I am sure hardcore LAN party gamers will buy this with the 9800GTX SLI.