Corporal punishment still legal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Sep 23, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I feel like I just read an article from the 1800's but its actually from today. I don't know if there are any old threads about this already. I didn't realize corporal punishment is still legal in 19 states and actually still in use. How is it legal to hit kids but adults are not allowed to be assaulted? In this article the mother is upset her daughter got PADDLED by a man instead of a woman, but had no problem with her daughter getting paddled. This is in Texas, of course. I'm sorry but this is just so wrong on so many levels.

Take a gander...

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Parents agree to it.

When I was little up until about 3rd grade when they did away with it (this was the 80's) we brought home slips at the beginning of the school year that asked parents if they wanted their kid to be paddled in class if they were bad.

Mine always said yes but I was good when I was little so it was of no concern to me.

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

^ I'm sorry but that's just not right. Parents shouldn't be able to do it themselves, and they shouldn't be allowed to agree to it.

On a side note, I just read that my state was the first to ban corporal punishment in 1867. Go Jersey!

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm actually for paddling. It was done to me as a kid and kept me from misbehaving.

Getting paddled with the kitchen spoon was the worst!

That being said when people paddle its usually never that hard. Its more of a psychological thing.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It's ridiculous this is still happening in schools! My parents never used corporal punishment on me or my sisters, let alone a teacher! Personally I think using corporal punishment is lazy, a tool for people who can't be bothered to use more sophisticated forms of discipline.

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Agreed. My parents would not have let a school use corporal punishment against me. It's just plain wrong.

7. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Whatever 'sophisticated form of discipline' you're talking about, it doesn't seem to have that great of an effect nor do many parents seem to even know about it.

I'm not for beating children to a pulp, but I am for some form of physical reminder that doing or saying bad things are wrong and have consequences - a light smack over the head sometimes helps.

Sometimes, I even want to do it to adults.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Absolutely. The research regarding corporal punishment during youth and how it affects the developing brain is well established. CP only creates problems in adults, it doesn't solve behaviour problems in kids.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I know plenty of adults who could use a good ass whopping. Might do them some good.

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Maybe it's because some parents don't know how to discipline kids without resorting to violence? The laziness or incompetance of some parents is not an indication that corporal punishment is necessary. Coporal punishment just seems primitive compared to using verbal discipline, loss of privileges, doing chores, "naughty step" (for younger kids) etc. Anyway, consistancy and proportionality are the most important factors rather than the nature of the punishment itself.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Careful. People might be thinking the same thing about you.

;)

Anyway, IMO, schools should not be involved in this. It opens them up for lawsuits or controversies as in the OPs news story. There are plenty of ways to punish children without bringing out the paddle.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm not disagreeing, but, do you have some citations for solid psych research on this?

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Kids in school know the teacher can't touch them, that is why the students run the asylum. They know they won't be disciplined. I hear of the horror stories back in the day when Nuns were allowed to beat the **** out of you. Bet there was no talking back in school then.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Pretty much this. I don't think parents or schools should beat their kids bloody, but a good stinging pop on the butt administered to particularly unruly kids isn't exactly child abuse.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If there was no talking back [misbehavior], then why were the nuns beating the **** out students?

:rolleyes:

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have no problem with parents being able to spank their children. However, schools should not be allowed to do it.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Don't ask.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Ahhh... the memories.... nothing like a good old fashioned Catholic school upbringing.

19. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Lucky me, Corporal Punishment is banned In Connecticut.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Everyone is entitled to an opinion obviously but I'm starting to think the people so against spanking have never had it done to them.

Its really not bad and is not even remotely close to child abuse. (Yes some adults take it too far but its not the norm). It keeps kids in line far better than time outs or groundings (which are more for teenagers).

21. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Compassion is harmonious and cool.

Compassion and fair treatment to all Earthlings. RAH RAH RAH!

----------

I got a lot of spanks and beatings growing up, I also done the same to my younger siblings - it is not necessary one bit. Mentoring and instilling respectful behavior is far more effective than spanking in combination with enabling, that is usually the case with parents who spank.

Thank you.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As a child I was spanked with hand or brush and had my mouth washed out with soap. Basic 1960's parenting.

I'm actually not steadfastly against it. I think there may be times when a swat against the tush could be the most effective way to deter a child from behaving badly. I don't really know ... as I never had any children (thank you, Jesus).

But a school isn't the place for it. There are sufficient ways to punish a child and ample opportunity to inform a parent as to the behavior that merited the punishment. If the parent then sees fit to paddle the child, then that's up to them.

23. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I'm fine with my parents doing it but not someone from school.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree. Parents, not schools, should be the ones to do it.

25. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

We were spanked as children in my family, but it was always the last resort. Basically we knew that it was a possibility so we did our best to never push things that far with our parents. My father did it and never used anything other then his hand, but he was a farmer and those were hands of steel. :)