Corporate money:Facebook to enter cryptocurrency.

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-22/facebook-s-libra-crypto-coin-5-things-we-know-and-5-we-don-t

Facebook Inc. unveiled plans for a new cryptocurrency called Libra this week. When it launches in 2020 or later, it will be a stablecoin–a digital currency that doesn’t fluctuate much because it’s supported by established government-backed currencies and securities.

The world’s largest social media company published a 12-page white paper on Libra and has more than 20 partners for the project. But there are still many questions. After a week of analysis, here’s what Bloomberg reporters and editors know about Libra, along with key unknowns that remain:
This could be a really good thing, it could all go bad fast, or governments and banks could shut it down before it ever gets started.

I can't help but think Apple maybe moving this way with ApplePay, surely others will fallow.

Anarchy99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
CA
people are squirrelly enough putting money into PayPal because of how they can arbitrarily lock and otherwise mess with your funds compared to a bank.
I don't see how utilizing facebook a company known for privacy issues, ideological discrimination is a good thing.

not to mention atleast with PayPal they deal with money even non-technical people understand.

normals still don't understand cryptocurrency so its more of a wildwest.

ontop of that its tied to fiat currencies anyway so it looses one of the biggest benefits to crypto and presumably it will be less anonymous loosing another big benefit.

here is the future of facebook libra

Reactions: stylinexpat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
I would not use Facebook Libra. Would not recommend it for privacy reasons. That aside I can see many that don’t care using it just as many Facebook users use Facebook and Facebook messenger. These same people that don’t care about privacy backup everything to the Cloud server. Those that don’t care will use it and if half the people cared and half did not care that is still a lot of people to use it.. Facebook is going by numbers based off of how many users they have. Good or bad you can see how over the last month or two this helped pretty much double the price of Bitcoin

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I wish Facebook would go away. It's not the privacy invasion I'm concerned about. I don't care about that. It's people wanting to know what their friends and family are up to every waking moment. It kills any conversation you could have with people.

Also, all I can say about cryptos is I wish Facebook didn't do this because this means I'll have to scroll through stylinexpat's image posts even more now as opposed to the half dozen or so threads he already posts photos in.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
I wish Facebook would go away. It's not the privacy invasion I'm concerned about. I don't care about that. It's people wanting to know what their friends and family are up to every waking moment. It kills any conversation you could have with people.

Also, all I can say about cryptos is I wish Facebook didn't do this because this means I'll have to scroll through stylinexpat's image posts even more now as opposed to the half dozen or so threads he already posts photos in.
I know what you are saying, images and photos are just horrible :rolleyes: You must really hate it when you go to a restaurant where they have images of food in their menus:rolleyes: o_O I mean, who likes pictures and images these days..?

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I know what you are saying, images and photos are just horrible :rolleyes: You must really hate it when you go to a restaurant where they have images of food in their menus:rolleyes: o_O I mean, who likes pictures and images these days..?
RESIZE THEM, and then no one will complain. Do you know how jarring it is, even on dual monitor setups?

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
RESIZE THEM, and then no one will complain. Do you know how jarring it is, even on dual monitor setups?
I would love to see a screenshot of how bad it looks on your end. On both my smartphones, my iPad Pro, my MacBook Pro and my external LG monitor all look OK. What kind of a monitor and screen resolution do you have where screenshots look so jarring?

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I would love to see a screenshot of how bad it looks on your end. On both my smartphones, my iPad Pro, my MacBook Pro and my external LG monitor all look OK. What kind of a monitor and screen resolution do you have where screenshots look so jarring?
Dual 1440p monitors. Resize it to half the size you got now so it flows better. That's all I'm asking.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Dual 1440p monitors. Resize it to half the size you got now so it flows better. That's all I'm asking.
On my iPhone 8 Plus and my Huawei P30 Pro I did not see the option to resize screenshot to half the resolution after taking screenshot on smartphone. Perhaps you could be kind enough to help me out with this. Maybe it is easy and I am missing something.. I will check again for that option although I just checked and did not see such option (maybe I missed it). Apple’s screenshot resolutions seem to be ahead of some people’s monitor resolutions these days lol..

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
On my iPhone 8 Plus and my Huawei P30 Pro I did not see the option to resize screenshot to half the resolution after taking screenshot on smartphone. Perhaps you could be kind enough to help me out with this. Maybe it is easy and I am missing something.. I will check again for that option although I just checked and did not see such option (maybe I missed it). Apple’s screenshot resolutions seem to be ahead of some people’s monitor resolutions these days lol..
Imagine an online store where you could look for such digital tools or if the gallery app on such a phone had a built in resizer.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Imagine an online store where you could look for such digital tools or if the gallery app on such a phone had a built in resizer.
I think you could suggest or recommend to the mods here at MacForums to reprogram the file upload option for image attachments to be resized to Half the resolution size so that it flows better and is not so jarring ;):)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think you could suggest or recommend to the mods here at MacForums to reprogram the file upload option for image attachments to be resized to Half the resolution size so that it flows better and is not so jarring ;):)
The forum software has a feature that will scale the image down to a thumbnail view that should help with this. Just drag and drop the image into the post reply box then once the image is uploaded, click the Thumbnail button as shown in my screenshot.

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 4.09.35 AM.png

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
The forum software has a feature that will scale the image down to a thumbnail view that should help with this. Just drag and drop the image into the post reply box then once the image is uploaded, click the Thumbnail button as shown in my screenshot.

View attachment 845254
Thanks for kind reply :)
When viewing this on my iPhone 8 Plus the screenshot I uploaded actually looks better and scrolls better compared to the one you just showed me. Here is a screenshot of both from my iPhone 8 Plus when viewing and scrolling both.
This is the one you showed me below. On my iPhone it shows the post replies really small and I have to scroll left and right to be able to view attachment. Perhaps there is some sort of flaw or software error depending on device used to view posts. The reason I had always posted this way was because it shows it as always perfectly scaled on my iPhone and iPad without needing to scroll right or left when I uploaded the screenshot. I thought the software was already programmed to scale properly of which it does show it as being properly scaled on both my iPhone and iPad Pro when viewing via Safari browser.
F0137955-C5EF-45A0-9ABD-CE7BBBCEEF8C.png

58312504-43C7-437E-BB8A-3C6A2235D8F4.png

0490D3B3-F742-4729-8DF3-34D3A3357201.png

This is how it looks via the image file I uploaded on my iPhone 8 Plus. On my iPhone the image is scaled perfectly into the Safari Browser and scrolls perfectly up and down. The image also looks perfectly integrated into the thread posts. I am using the Safari browser from iPhone to post and reply.
0C07336F-DBB5-4D41-8864-10A4C33E974C.png