Corporate rating systems .......

Corporate rating systems that focus on employees

• What do the customers know to judge????

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less than stellar reviews should not count unless description is provided by customer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
This is a interesting read. Glad I worked for myself now.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/28/9625968/rating-system-on-demand-economy-uber-olive-garden#comments

I've worked for several companies in the past that I was rating on survey percentage ratings, and anything under 95% was considered bad at one company, which was basically inevitable and unrealistic.

And management never wants to hear about any unsatisfactory ratings being a company problem rather than an individual worker problem.

Although I never worked for Uber or any car service, which this article bases most of the emphasis on, I can understand completely what the drivers are going through.

It seems this is the direction companies from all fields are headed. And although ratings and surveys are nothing new, corporate is starting to take the save their own ass approach, and pinning everything on the worker.

I agree with these comments below ....
brucex20

at the same point they aren’t the only company to do this. What this article misses is that this is not a new problem, its just one new and put to the front because of uber. I work for a large retail pharmacy and our stores are rated on everything. Customer ratings are part of it, and what they don’t tell the customer is that its 5 stars or nothing. A 4 star rating because "there were 2 customers in line ahead of me" is the same as 0 stars.
This issue goes beyond just uber and postmates, and contract employees, its in every workplace, and it’s insane.

Posted onOct 28, 2015 | 2:05 PMUp Reply

Thegovier

I agree. I know someone who rarely gives 5 stars to Uber drivers as he sees 5 stars as perfection. His standard rating is 4 stars (good, or better than neutral). Would a black and white yes/no response be better and fairer, or perhaps a yes/neutral/no? Are we rating on the level of perfection that the driver attains, or the likelihood of us returning to the service or recommending the service based on the ride they just provided? Maybe it just needs to be an explicit "Should Uber fire this driver? Yes/No" to make it obvious for the reason of the rating.

Posted onOct 28, 2015 | 2:19 PMUp Reply

jclardy

I think you nailed the crux of the problem – everyone has their own rating system. To people who know how companies look at these things, they give 5 stars to a good driver and 5 stars to a great driver. To normal people, 5 stars is only for the best.

And then it gets even trickier, are you supposed to rate them based on how they compared to your past drivers? Or a general scale of drivers? Is obeying traffic laws and having a clean car worthy of 5 stars?

The problem is that the star rating for any given user has no context, but then the companies try to interpret it as having such. I think you can glean a general trend if you compare drivers in the same areas but even still it is not going to be super useful.

Posted onOct 28, 2015 | 3:54 PMUp Reply

T.H.

If you offer five stars but demand average ratings of 4.7, you’re not so much offering a rating system as giving the customer a choice in how badly they can screw the driver. Why not just reduce the rating to a binary approve / disapprove choice and get everyone on the same page?

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
From the article:

"You get pretty good at kissing ass just because you have to," an Uber driver told me. "Uber and Lyft have created this monstrous brand of customer where they expect Ritz Carlton service at McDonald's prices."
The reality is that a lot of people are like that. They expect the best, but aren't willing to pay for it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009