Correct way to connect stereo mini to RCA cord to HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timelessride, Dec 29, 2012.

1. timelessride macrumors newbie

Hi all, I've successfully connected my 2006 MacBook Pro to my Sony Bravia TV with DVI to HDMI cable. The picture looks great. I also connected my Stereo Mini to RCA cord from the headphone jack to the red and white ports on the TV. I'm using HDMI 2 on the TV and plugging the RCA into the ports next to HDMI 2. I have no sound. If I plug the RCA cord into my stereo on AUX it plays the sound. Is there a setting I have to make on my computer so the TV recognizes the computer?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I would immediately guess your TV has NO ANALOG RCA INPUTS. The RCA ports you are hooking up to maybe OUTPUT ports. Consult manual.

If that's the case you are SOL. That's why the TV gives you HDMI (video+audio combined) and that's how it wants its signal, not separate DVI+Audio. Maybe some sort of adapter/combiner you can buy? Then again, most people want their audio on the big stereo, not on the TV's teeny speakers so... maybe it's OK for the audio to directly go to stereo anyway?

3. timelessride thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm putting the RCA cord into the same ports I connect my DVD player to. Except I'm only plugging into the audio ports.

4. timelessride thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution to connecting 2006 MacBook Pro to Sony Bravia HDTV

Ok so here is a step by step instruction to what to do.

1) Connect the DVI to HDMI cable to the DVI port on the MacBook and the HDMI cable into HDMI 1. It's important that it goes into HDMI (1).

2) Pres F7 command key on Mac and the screen should come up on TV once the Input is set to HDMI 1 on the TV.

3) Connect an aux cord from the headphone jack to the PC audio Input in the back of the TV. There is only one port for that so the aux cord will have one male end on both ends. (Note* attaching Stereo Mini cord from Mac to TV didn't work for me.) Must use PC audio input port. However, the Stereo Mini cord does connect to my Philips Stereo and sounds much better on those speakers (if your TV doesn't have surround sound)

If all this is connected it should work.

5. LeeM macrumors 6502a

you may need an adapter box which takes a dvi input and an audio input and then converts the 2 into a single hdmi output.
    the hdmi channel on the tv will be a separate channel to whichever audio input your using. the audio will probably be played on the same channel as the vga input

6. timelessride thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, but I actually posted earlier about how I fixed the problem. Doing this will work...

1) Connect the DVI to HDMI cable to the DVI port on the MacBook and the HDMI cable into HDMI 1. It's important that it goes into HDMI (1).

2) Pres F7 command key on Mac and the screen should come up on TV once the Input is set to HDMI 1 on the TV.

3) Connect an aux cord from the headphone jack to the PC audio Input in the back of the TV. There is only one port for that so the aux cord will have one male end on both ends. (Note* attaching Stereo Mini cord from Mac to TV didn't work for me.) Must use PC audio input port. However, the Stereo Mini cord does connect to my Philips Stereo and sounds much better on those speakers (if your TV doesn't have surround sound)

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

In other words, you were just plugging your Mac into the wrong connectors on the TV. That's the ONLY thing that went wrong in this whole thread.

8. timelessride thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea what you mean by this but yes that was what went wrong. I would think that would be a normal issue.