Correct way to use Safari to prevent lots of tabs?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Mike Boreham, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Mike Boreham, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

The way I use Safari on my phone is mainly:
    -opening links in emails to forums like here and others.
    -enter item in address bar to search.

Doing it like this seems to open a new tab every time, and when I have too many tabs Safari crashes.

Is there a simple way to use Safari to stop tabs multiplying, and stop the crashes?

I have tried changing the Settings => Safari => Open Links from "in new tab" to in "background" but they still open in a new tab.

Feel I am missing something basic here.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Searching from the address bar keeps me on the same tab that I'm on, not sure why it would work otherwise. Opening links from another app will generally open in a new tab as I recall--usually in those situations I simply close the tab when I'm done with it.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

You aren't missing anything here, it's just how it works.

I feel your pain, once a week I just clear out the redundant tabs just to keep it manageable.

FYI, you can't have too many tabs open though, and it isn't causing crashes. iOS clears tabs from memory when there are too many, hence why they reload often. You may have 50 tabs open, but only 3 or 4 of them actually are open.

4. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

It seems to me that Safari crashes about once in 10 days usually when I am in the middle of writing a forum post. I close all the tabs after a crash and it is fine until the next time. Of course there could be another explanation.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

There maybe something in it. Perhaps it's designed to manage itself and clear memory, but like all software, it isn't quite perfect :)