Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fozy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Aspen, CO
I have apparently corrupted my hard drive directory on my back up 120 gb drive.

First attempt was using disc utility and hit repair disc but that rendered the disc with a new volume name.

The drive is recognized by disc warrior but will not allow repair due to an error.

Is there any other way to rebuild a directory?

Thanks!

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
It sounds like its a bit beyond a mere directory rebuild. I use a tool called Data Rescue. It has three modes to reas off data and allow for file recovery. It takes FOREVER, but has saved me on two occasions where I had a drive fail.
As for Diskwarrior, call the folks over there. On one problem they were able to walk me though some steps in Single User mode to fsck a drive to the point where DW would help. YOu might want to try Terminal and fsck the drive a few times. For whatever reason this often has better results that Disk Utility, even though I THINK they use the same code to complete repairs.
In my expereince with OS X Norton and Tech Tool Pro 4 are useless for serious problems. TTP4 is good for maintenance in my opinion, but I have yet to have it actually do any real repairs. Half the time, it does not see a bad drive that DU does see. And Norton often does more harm than good in my experience.

Good luck, I know how it stinks to have a drive failure.
fozy said:
I have apparently corrupted my hard drive directory on my back up 120 gb drive.

First attempt was using disc utility and hit repair disc but that rendered the disc with a new volume name.

The drive is recognized by disc warrior but will not allow repair due to an error.

Is there any other way to rebuild a directory?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.