Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
London
I saw this pop up on the addictive Dave2d (David Lee) YouTube channel

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/landing/one

Interesting is they have two specs the normal and 'pro' version, spec wise it's pretty decent, I know the Mac Pro uses more workstation style internals and has a noticeable smaller footprint.

What's everyone's thoughts?

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
I don't think Pro like Apple means Pro in the Mac Pro. I think it is more like the way Apple Means the word Pro in Mac Book Pro.

It is a very interesting design. :) I like the engineering of it mainly the desktop components. I would like to see a case design that is more elegant and not so over the top gaming. Something like their Carbide series with just a touch of flair but minimalistic.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
London
I don't think Pro like Apple means Pro in the Mac Pro. I think it is more like the way Apple Means the word Pro in Mac Book Pro.

It is a very interesting design. :) I like the engineering of it mainly the desktop components. I would like to see a case design that is more elegant and not so over the top gaming. Something like their Carbide series with just a touch of flair but minimalistic.

I think you're spot on with the Pro analogy (how have we come to have two meanings of pro lol), and I'm with you on everything else, I like the engineering but the case design is still a bit to loud for me, it will be interesting to see the sales of this device as so far reviews praise it and apparently pricing is pretty competitive too.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I think Mac Pro users have an expectation for the beefy Xeon processors. This Corsair One is an overpriced consumer desktop machine with consumer grade components.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I think Mac Pro users have an expectation for the beefy Xeon processors. This Corsair One is an overpriced consumer desktop machine with consumer grade components.

It is a gaming machine so ECC memory wouldn't be a wise choice for it. I don't think many people choose the Mac Pro for gaming.

The pricing isn't bad for those who want a solid performer.

Reactions: EnderBeta

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
Like Belvdr said, this is a gaming machine. A gaming machine that uses off the shelf parts in a custom case that manages to compress the size a little. In that regard this is a whole lot more then I have seen from Apple in years.

I'm not in the market for a Windows gaming machine since I already have my machine but for people that don't have the skills or time it looks like a very nice option from a brand that I trust.

Also a MacBook Pro uses consumer grade parts.

Reactions: Queen6 and Three141

Queen6

macrumors G4
I like the Corsair One, makes for small desktop solution with decent internals, pity access to the M.2 slot is very limited. As for the lighting I believe it can be turned down or off. Am not in the market for a desktop, however the One is an interesting proposition and something I would consider.

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, I'm impressed with the machine. A little pricey but it appears to be well made.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I haven't had a windows machine in years and I've been tempted to switch back. I never in the past would buy a prebuilt windows pc but I am really intrigued by the corsair one. I really wish though that the SSD would have been m.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.