Cory Booker introduces bill to legalize marijuana nationwide

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shinji, Aug 2, 2017.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Not going to pass with Republicans in control of Congress and the White House, but still.

http://www.politico.com/states/new-...r-seeks-federal-marijuana-legalization-113716

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

3. Solomani, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Not really against the legalization rationale.

But IMHO, the Democrat politicians prematurely pushing these legislation are wildly out of touch. Simply stupid to "push it to a vote" when it will statistically fail 100% because there simply is not enough votes to support it. As already mentioned above, the GOP controls both the House and Senate, so it will fail. Booker can't do the math? Did he even pass any college-level math class?

Why not save up your energy and save up your momentum until the time is right?

4. jeyf macrumors 6502

state of Colorado legalized marijuana
    i cant verify the numbers but over heard in conversation the state of Colorado expected a small ~20 million increase in tax revenue but instead got 100-150 million increase. Americans like their pot.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Seems like a waste of time given the current composition of the government. I suppose it's just a marketing ploy.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not that I disagree with you, but what would you call the GOP ACA repeal push?

7. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Yes, it's also a "futile push" (they are pushing against a very solid wall). But at least the GOP vote (to repeal) is actually close, only short of 1-3 votes. Booker's plan to push the MJ nationwide legalization law…. won't even come close. The nation simply isn't ready for it, IMHO. A few States are ready, it seems. But we are not talking about a few states. We are talking about nationwide law.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well....60% or so voters favor marijuana legalization (nearly 90% for medicinal)http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/politics/marijuana-poll-legalization/index.html
    yet, the GOP Healthcare initiative I mentioned...18% or so http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/28/health-care-polls-republicans-240062 So, we agree Bookers' proposal won't pass - but it's a lot closer to the popular sentiment and the States' pocketbooks than most legislation these days - the GOP is a train wreck....

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Has the Supreme court ever ruled on federal drug laws?

Anyone got any doritos.:D

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Makes sense. The people have voted with their wallets anyway. As long as the cannabis industry is well regulated and taxed, the advantages of this probably outweigh the disadvantages.

11. Carnegie macrumors 6502

Yes, notably in Gonzales v Raich (2005) in which I believe the Court got it wrong.

12. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

I don't see this getting much support, but maybe the Democrats will embrace it in order to actually have a platform. At the moment it looks pretty much a publicity stunt.

13. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Someone should challenge the Federal power to ban "drugs", they can tax and regulate, but I don't think they can ban/outlaw.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think one of the other proposals has a better shot. It just reschedules it from I to II to allow research and banking.

15. Carnegie macrumors 6502

The federal government's power to make certain drugs illegal has been challenged. That was at issue in Raich.

The regulation that Justice Thomas was referring to in that Raich dissent included making it illegal to cultivate and possess marijuana.

16. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Most of the things the government does now it outside their defined power in the constitution.

17. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

It's simple, when you think about it, the Federal Government needed a constitutional amendment to ban the production and sale of alcohol, because it was a power they did not have.

If they didn't have that power, then their is no federal power to ban the sale and production of any product. The can regulate, to ensure things are "reasonably" safe, and tax, but they can tax out of existence.

18. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Gotta love those "get the government out of our lives" and the "fewer regulations, more tax cuts and corporate welfare" conservatives who want to tell you that you can't smoke a j.

19. Zenithal Suspended

You'd think people like Mitch and Lindsey were high all the time.

20. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Show me where in the constitution the government can force you to buy a product (healthcare).

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

How about shoot heroin? Should the government step aside on that as well? Free for all!

Basically what this is is the democratic version of Ted Cruz. In that a man who proposes a bill he know can't pass, in the case of Cruz it was repeal the ACA, knowing full well it will never pass. In effect wasting peoples time simply to get republicans to take a stand Americans already know they are firmly planted on.

22. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Hence the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 (?)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2017 ---
    Don't forget Pelosi. She still thinks Bush is President.
    They can't, but the SCOTUS said you can tax those who don't. Thanks Justice Roberts. :(
    While in theory I agree with you, with the current crop of heroin just coming into contact with a user can cause an overdose. Recently police officers in Huntington, WV and I want to say Portsmouth, OH had to be treated for OD symptoms simply after coming into contact with someone who had heroin powder on their clothes. So from that standpoint it is a public safety issue. You can take a bath in cannabis and all you will do is smell.

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Marijuana is a naturally-occcuring plant. Straw man argument.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Opium isn't naturally occurring? Poppy?

25. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Man I keep telling you guys, Cory Booker for 2020. Anywhoo, I don't think this will get anywhere with the GOP in control. They're still stuck in the 50's as far as Cannabis. Besides, Jeff Sessions would probably have a heart attack.