Cosby & Polanski Kicked Out Of Film Academy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, May 4, 2018.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

We've talked about Cosby enough in the other thread but about goddamned time they did something about child rapist Polanski. Freakin' Hollywood still can't figure out why some people hate them, its not just the hypocrisy of screaming about women's rights while working with and giving awards to this trash but simply not being disgusted by a rapist in the first place.

https://uproxx.com/movies/bill-cosby-removed-tv-hall-of-fame/

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

From the article I linked to in my earlier post...

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

There was this theory years ago they kept mentioning him and awarding him in the hopes he'd hop on over and get himself arrested. It's plausible given last fall's explosion in Hollywood. Or at least get him to a country that has a solid extradition pact with the US.

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I have no idea why Polanski is mouthing off about this now. It's not like he denied the incident or the age of the child. And the timing is beyond absurd. He wants due process? He got it. He gets to keep his Oscar for Best Director (for the film The Pianist) even though he's now finally booted from the Academy. If he wants something else from today's Academy, he's dreaming. If he wants something from the legal system, Academy-related or otherwise, then let him come over here and ask for it. Not sure he'd really be all that keen on testing how slowly grind all the wheels of justice. Surely his counsel will suggest leaving well enough alone.

6. Zenithal macrumors 604

I'm afraid I haven't bothered to read more into it but I'll take your word for it. I do find that rather amusing because I'd previously presumed he'd got a bit funny in the head due to some past actions. The action is good but it's late. I am glad Hollywood is finding its proverbial balls to finally rid itself of nasty people such as Cosby, Polanski, Weinstein, et al. There's a few producers and directors I'm waiting to come down in a fiery crash, though.

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Polanski should be in jail. I can think of a few more like Woody Allen.

8. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yah.... although I'm finding the belated "crash and burn" a distinctly mixed blessing in some respects.

I mean that quite selfishly... in terms of changes in how I experience the works now of people whose bad behavior has come to light only recently and so trashed what may have been a long and illustrious career.

Of course I can be as casually critical as anyone else of other people's misbehavior: "What an idiot, why didn't he stop at the red light?"

It's new to me, however, to find myself deeply regretting that certain talented people have destroyed their careers through engaging in unwanted sexual contacts. I have appreciated their performances or creations and now find myself annoyed that their bad behavior affects my enjoyment anew of their work.

Wait, what happened to my appreciation for the willingness of victims of abuse to come forward?!

I admit to feeling personally affronted by the perpetrators, but beyond that annoyed at myself for wondering whether I can't just decide to separate their art from the artists. Or sometimes I'm more annoyed at thinking maybe I can in fact manage to do exactly that.

Thank you Ms. X and Y and Z for your bravery but I'm going to listen to Charlie Rose interview Shimon Peres again on this old podcast because I saw the late Peres' name in a news piece the other day and remembered liking the interview, so... ?!

So far I'm not there yet with Charlie Rose. I managed to listen to James Levine conducting some Brahms the other day though. I am not sure I could watch him on a DVD. After a few minutes I was just hearing Brahms and not thinking about any of the performers. I can't do that with movies, or not without a bunch of false starts, so far. ​

Either way there are these guys in film and the performing arts whose works I admired and whose revealed misbehavior is appalling. I don't feel like renting them space in my aging brain. I want the impossible: for them not to have done what they did that was wrong. I liked them better on their pedestals.

And when I cop to that, then I realize I'm at least somewhat disrespecting of the people who came forward, the people those artists abused or disrespected, the people who have helped make it less likely that such behavior will be tolerated in future.

Surely the way to thank the people who came forward is not to be annoyed that they exposed wrongdoing by some guy whose conducting or choreography I admired and now regret I can't enjoy as much?

This is the kind of dithering that I have to visualize putting in the empty red bowl of the Buddha painting on the wall in my library, man. I can't deal with it yet so I have to just let it go. But so far it comes back every time I belatedly realize I've just elected to listen to or watch some performance that I can't re-experience with the same level of appreciation as I once did, at least not without feeling conflicted over it.