Cosmetic Damage Out The Box - Will Apple Store Swap a MBP purchased through Amazon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickpro, Apr 2, 2011.

1. nickpro macrumors regular

I purchased a brand new 2011 15 inch base model MBP through Amazon (technically a reseller listed on Amazon). I received my unit today, unpacked the box, removed the new plastic, and noticed quite a few same-color scratches on the aluminum lid. Again, this was a brand-new unit. I set up an appt at the genius bar tomorrow. My question is - will an Apple Store replace it under the 1 year warranty even though I didn't actually purchase it through the store? Also, will they do it for cosmetic damage? Thanks.

2. iMackPro macrumors 6502

as long as it was an autorized reseller and you have the reciept, but usually they wont even bother, especially if its a brand new computer id saw youre greenlight for a new mac :D

3. nickpro thread starter macrumors regular

^^^^
    thats what i figured, thanks. if it was 1 or 2 of these light scratches i'd probably just live with it, but its a good 5-6 scuffs, scratches. i think i'm entitled to a new unit.

4. iMackPro macrumors 6502

yeah i agree, mine came with one dent on the bottom left of my mac, since its on the bottom i didnt even bother returning it. (especially since evertying else it working normally)!! have you seen all the threads up with horror stories of their brand new $2000+ computer?!! its insane!

Not to mention, the bottom is the very first place ill dent it anyways so its all good:D you def should be returning it, can you upload some pics?

5. nickpro thread starter macrumors regular

this will give you a pretty good idea of it. again, the scratches are light. this is the most visible:

edit, need to resize

6. nickpro thread starter macrumors regular

7. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

Looks the smallest bit like a smiley face.
    None-the-less, hope you get a new one! Apple are very lenient on those things!

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

If not amazon's cs is the best in the bizz. They should take care of ya. Often they send first return later if you don't want downtime.

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

Not if it was an Amazon reseller, as the OP suggested. It's cosmetic so more difficult to argue straight up defect, like with DOA.

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I think you'll have to deal with the reseller. I can't buy a TV from Best Buy then return it to Target. Same kind of deal, more or less. I'd call the Apple store back and tell them the situation before you go all the way down there.

11. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

And if it was Target that manufactured the TV?

12. brentsg, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

brentsg macrumors 68040

Generally the Apple retail stores won't deal with anything that they didn't sell, unless you're there to get a repair.

You don't buy at MacMall and then swap at Apple retail. It just doesn't work like that.

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

This

14. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I know what you're saying but this isn't really a warranty issue. If it were warranty then Apple store would help. But it was a product that was jacked up and is therefore a return situation. Apple retail does warranty stuff no matter where you purchased but it's a different story with returns. I think they'll tell you to return it to the place you purchased it. Call them first and ask them before you go down there. That's all I'm saying.

15. brentsg, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

brentsg macrumors 68040

"Hey, I bought this from some fly-by-night Amazon retailer because the price was a lot cheaper than you. But their customer service is non-existent, and the product is jacked up a bit. So now I'd like you to take care of it, because you know.. you actually have customer service."

16. nickpro thread starter macrumors regular

This the response I was looking for, thanks!

17. erphan macrumors newbie

Apple definitely has the ability to replace the unit for you. It really depends on the Genius and Manager who make up their mind. The GB can make a CRU and either give it to you from their stock OR order one, if need be.

18. nickpro thread starter macrumors regular

well he didnt, so i contacted the seller on amazon and he said he would exchange the unit no problem.

the dilemma i'm facing now is whether to return it or not. i already have all my data from my previous MB on there and everything else on it is perfectly fine. looking at the lid from my previous MB and seeing all the minor scratches from normal wear and tear makes me think that my new MBP will be susceptible to the same.

oh and not to mention the possibility of receiving a new unit with a worse defect - dead pixels, loose keys, etc.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

19. mikepro macrumors 6502

Kind of sucks your new one wasn't "perfect". But.. is it really worth the hassle to exchange? (and take the (low) risk/headache of getting something worse?)

It's just a computer, after all. If it was me, and it worked fine and everything was fully setup, I'd consider keeping it and avoiding the hassle. But, it's up to you, as it's hard to tell how noticeable and annoying the scratches in real world lighting conditions.

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'd see if you could get some kind of discount and keep the unit you have.

21. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

This is one of the reasons I almost always buy directly from Apple. They don't question returns and they always pay for return shipping.

22. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Seems kinda silly to have gone to the trouble of moving stuff over to the new machine if you were really unhappy with it cosmetically, no? Ah well, what's done is done... Add zeroing out that new drive to the list of hassles if you return it.

I think you're onto something there. ;)

This. Tell the seller $100 would magically make the scratches go away. :)

Then, I'd try rubbing them out for real. A really gentle polish or cleaner might remove them or make them less noticeable. I'm thinking something like glass cooktop cleaner, maybe toothpaste. Something with a gentle abrasive but without petroleum distillates like Brasso.

23. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I personally wouldn't worry about those scuffs on the bottom of your Mac. I have got 2 and for the most part, I'm pretty careful but you're not always going to look where you place your Mac and sometimes it's going to be small and it's going to do that to your Mac. If your Mac is having no other problems, I wouldn't worry about exchanging it.