Cosmetic Surgery

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BreakGuy, Feb 7, 2012.

?

I have..

1. Had Cosmetic surgery and plan on more.

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Had Cosmetic surgery, but won't get any more.

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Never had Cosmetic surgery, but plan on getting it.

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Never had Cosmetic surgery, and won't ever.

39 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. BreakGuy, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Have you ever had cosmetic surgery, of any kind? What was it? Would you do it again? Are you planning on getting more?

I'm not talking about reconstructive surgery or anything that's medically needed, rather surgery you've chosen to get to, but wasn't needed, in order improve your appearance.

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I would totally get cosmetic surgery to deal with the scarring on my back from Acne during my teen years. Alas, I lack money.

3. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I've had laser eye surgery and I've had a couple of moles removed from my back. I'm going to get a mole on my cheek removed and one from just below my neck.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

There's no option for "have never had but would consider getting"

I like how I look now and while were I able to wave a magic wand I'd maybe change a couple of things cosmetic surgery is completely an overkill way to deal with those minor things.

If however as I grow older anything bothers me to the point that it has a reasonable impact on my quality of life would I get cosmetic surgery? Absolutely.

I hope and expect that I never will, but I see no reason to say "never".

5. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Sorry about that. File it under "Never had Cosmetic surgery, but plan on getting it". Afterall, to plan something, you must first consider it.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

There's a difference between not ruling out and considering. I'll leave my vote absent.

7. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Well if something hasn't been ruled out it must still be under consideration, no?

8. Mord, Feb 7, 2012

Mord macrumors G4

Mord

No, I merely don't rule it out for the future.

I'm 23, I may have cosmetic surgery when I'm much older. I'm definitely 100% not considering it now.

Even were I considering it, a consideration does not a plan make. Plan implies prior consideration, consideration does not imply a future plan.

9. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I had my surgeries when I was 18. I'm 19 now and don't have much problem getting more done. I'm not saying you have to get yours done, you're free to choose when and where you get yours done.

10. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

The world needs a penis enlargement procedure. The person who invents that would be a multi-billionaire overnight.

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Or, you know, never. Which is as I said the most likely outcome?

You seem awfully keen on categorising me to reaffirm your choice, all I said was that I'm not willing to say I never will have cosmetic surgery.

I guess what I could say though is were I to have surgery it would only ever be to counter the effects of ageing and even then only if I had aged particularly ungracefully in a specific way that I felt could be significantly helped by surgery.

12. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

All I really have to say here is when it comes to boobs... small and real over fake balloons. It's weird to squeeze or even hug a girl with inflate-o-boobs, and kinda gross if the nipples get pushed off-center.

I'm happy with the cards I've been dealt, so no surgery for me, thanks.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

While I wouldn't have that surgery myself having hugged women who have I've never noticed the effect you describe.

14. DollFaceDork, Feb 7, 2012

DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

inflate-o-boobs?

I had a breast augmentation, my nipples are no way off centre!

I would have another one if having this baby ruins them.

I didn't have one to please other people other than my bf.

Nor do I agree with OTT surgery, Stalone's mother for example.

Age is unimportant, if you're over 18 it's personal choice, I'm 24.

15. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'm definitely not wanting you to reaffirm my choices. I was simply sharing my age I was when I had mine in response to your comment, being;

16. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

I'm glad you had good surgeries. I've seen some undesired results, and I forget who it was that woke up during a procedure and freaked out... It was some celebrity if I recall. Anyway, I had a girl ask if she should get them done, and I said I'd rather she didn't. They were fun just as they were, in my opinion. However, I have other friends that love them bigger, and they did feel nice, too.

17. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Yeah, my bf doesn't complain :D. I do however think it's wrong the way it's told in the media about celebrities and surgery, like it's a fashion accessory.

I wouldn't want my child to be influenced by others.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

At the age of 64 it's not some thing I really think is important for me.:)

In fact nobody in my family has had cosmetic surgery.

19. 184550 Guest

I answered 'Never had cosmetic surgery, and won't ever'.

However, I would have it if I were in some sort of accident and was horribly disfigured.

I can't stand the vanity behind plastic/ cosmetic surgery; it's just pathetic, IMO. The only situation(s) I can see that type of surgery being needed are for medically necessitated reasons. Like a soldier who is horribly disfigured in an IED attack or a women who has single or double mastectomy.

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Restorative/reconstructive surgery, it would depend.

Cosmetic surgery, no. Heck, I've even opted not to use meds to save my hair follicles because it would not allow me to donate blood. I do not look down on anyone who has had cosmetic surgery, but rather wonder what need they are fulfilling in their life that drives them to be unhappy with a physical aspect of themselves.

As for those combating the aging process, I view them as fighting an inevitable aspect of life. If one is unhappy getting older, one will be unhappy with every waking day. There is one alternative to getting older.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

A lot of people learn the hard way how judgemental people can be about cosmetic surgery. I wouldn't expect all the people here who've had various alterations to be completely up front about it.

I'm not interested in getting any cosmetic surgery right now but I may later in life. I very much doubt I'd talk about it in the public spaces of the internet. All it does is open you up to criticism and stereotyped assumptions, which I already see in this thread. As if everyone who has surgery is desperately unhappy and going to go the Jocelyn Wildenstein route. :eek:

For every big bad boob job there are many more subtle ones that you'd never suspect. It's just that the obvious ones are what you notice. I'm originally from Los Angeles and I've seen and felt my fair share of implants. Some there's no mistaking it and others you cannot tell where natural boob stops and implant begins. If you've hugged a woman and her boobs felt hard she might have a problem with scar tissue and or she's got a super tight bra.

Oh and your post about waking up during surgery - it's called anesthesia awareness. It's very rare. If you're interested there's plenty of information on the web about it.

22. Andeavor macrumors 6502

My dad and his sister just recently had their eyes done to get rid of some excess skin over their eyelids. Since I have my dad's facial features I will have to do it down sooner or later as well.

I'm also considering having my nose fixed, I sometimes have trouble breathing through one of the nostrils even when I only have a bit of a snivel - in fact it completely blocks off. And while fixing that I could have it straightened just as well.

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm 41 and I don't plan on getting any plastic surgery -- nor do I plan to even dye my hair. It's pointless really, time marches on and why go through unnecessary surgery to look *slightly* better for a few years? If I got a face lift no one is going to mistake me for a 22 year old at this point. I'm still going to look like a 41 year old--with work done.

That's not to say I'm all judgy about it though. I think its fine if someone has an unusual facial feature that has bothered them for awhile that they'd like changed. I can also understand actors/singers getting it because their career often depends on looking as good as possible.

If there is ever technology that honest to goodness made someone truly look younger -- to the point where you could not tell the difference between a real 22 year old and a 60 year old then that would be interesting. As it stands now, most older people who get it look pretty obvious. Bruce Jenner and Calvin Klein come to mind.

24. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've spent some time "researching" this, and I'll have to agree with others on this. Most of the implants I've had experience with have felt and looked real. I probably wouldn't have been able to tell had I not known before they were implants. I've seen 1 or 2 where they were probably too big - big enough where they didn't look natural on someone's body - but most of the work done now is really done well. And I've never seen any cases where the nipples aren't centered.

If you're hugging a woman and her breasts feel weird, you're doing it wrong. ;)

As far as getting work done on myself - I certainly wouldn't rule it out. I have no desire at this point in my life to do anything, but in 20 years? Who knows?

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree. Some people can gain a great deal of self confidence through surgery. I had a female friend in college who had an amazing body but unfortunately, she had an enormous nose. A few years later, she had a nose job and now looks unbelievably beautiful. She said that she almost felt resentment that so many people had judged her solely by her nose and it took a couple of years before she was able to live with her new nose. It's sad but humans are terribly judgmental.

Elective plastic surgery has its place but it's overused IMO.