Cost of fusion drive repair out of warranty?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by malvicus, Dec 5, 2013.

1. malvicus, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

malvicus macrumors member

I was speaking to someone who has a daughter working at an Apple Retail store who advised her father against the fusion drive option for the 27" iMac because of the costly repair that would involve a logic board replacement. I then asked him if he would get Applecare and, sadly, he said no.

Now, I would get Applecare but the question still remains. What is the cost of replacing the fusion drive out of warranty? Let's just assume hard drive failure 4 years after purchase in my case (1 year after purchase without Applecare). Also, in replacing the drive, does Apple replace both the SSD and regular HD or just the drive that is failing?

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

It sounds like the person giving the advice was talking out of their behind.

Logic board replacement?!

The fusion drive is made up of two components: the SSD blade and the spinning hard drive, tied together by software.

If one of the components fails, the other does not need to be replaced.

As to cost, if the spinning drive fails (99.999% to be the likely culprit in the event of a hardware failure) it will cost the same to repair as a normal HDD-equipped Mac.

If the SSD fails (very unlikely) then it will be whatever the warranty cost of replacing an SSD is.

3. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

Just like most employees at Apple stores...they have no idea what they are talking about and they just spew false information.

4. malvicus thread starter macrumors member

ok, if that's the case then it may be 100-150 for the drive and the cost of labor. That's no where near as frightening as replacing the logic board.

5. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

No wonder the Big Bang Theory constantly makes fun of the Apple Geniuses.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Last year it would've been about $250 to replace a 1TB HD in a late 2009 iMac if it hadn't still been covered by AppleCare.