Cost of new phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StarShot, Sep 8, 2014.

1. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

I read several places that a new iPhone order either had to be "Next" or full price. No more $199/$299/$399.

Was on Att yesterday and saw the following...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While these shots are for the IP5S, anyone know if this policy will also apply to the ATT IP6?

I'm hoping so...

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm almost positive the 2 year contracts will still be around.

3. 0928001 Suspended

2-year contracts are still around. You have to pay the $40 upgrade fee and the cost over time is a few hundred more than the Next plan. It will probably be available for the iPhone 6.

4. nnacrumors, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014

nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I haven't seen this on a single Apple news site of the 10 - 12 I frequent.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Personally, I have no problem signing a contract. I am not going to change carriers.

BUT - in this case, the contract will cost more than NEXT.

6. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502

StarShot

How do you figure Next is a few hundred more than a contract? The quotes I've got for the Next, assume we switch all 3 phones to the plan, is $140 plus taxes monthly.

We're paying about $140 monthly for our present 3 phones with contracts.

Every year I've been able to sell my old phone for $100-$150 more than I paid for it. With Next, I lose this profit because I have to return the old phone. So, by my math, Next actually would cost me $100-$150. Am I missing something here?

The BIG draw for me to do the Next deal is the 10GB shared data that I might occasionally use tethering while traveling.

7. 0928001, Sep 8, 2014

0928001 Suspended

I said a 2 year contract is a few hundred more expensive than the NEXT plan, not vice-versa. You don't have to return the old phone, you can just sell the phone, pay off your NEXT contract, and get a new phone every year.

In your case, you can sell your old phone for $100-$150 more than the subsidized price you paid, but you still have an ETF to worry about paying off. I think you may be forgetting about the ETF, but that is assuming you are wanting to upgrade every year.

Here is an example (what I plan on doing):

Buy new phone via NEXT plan @ $63 (taxes required up-front) - $649 balance
    Pay $27 a month on the phone for 11 months (total $297) - $352 balance
    Sell phone at end of August / beginning of September and pay off balance (before keynote) - $0 balance
    Start over again with the new model

I can purchase a new iPhone every year and enjoy the "discounted" pricing of ATT (I have 3 lines @ $136/mo w/ 10GB due to 23% FAN, but this will jump up $27 a month when I purchase the iPhone 6 with NEXT)

8. nostresshere, Sep 8, 2014

nostresshere macrumors 68030

Where are you buying phones such that you can sell it for more than you paid for it? Either someone is selling it cheap, you have found fools that pay too much for the used one.

As to NEXT,you only return the phone if you have not finished paying for it.

9. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

If you get for free or $199 on subsidy its quite easy. I just got $350 for my unlocked 32GB IP5 and then another $50 back from applecare when I cancelled it.

I think that was actually a steal for the buyer because it was a brand new refurb from that day's applecare visit.

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You really do not think you got that phone for free or $199, do you?

Unless of course you have some cheap monthly service plan.

11. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502

StarShot

You must be KIDDING or just got off a boat from a 5 year cruise where you didn't have contact with the electronic world. Apple iPhones in the past have cost $199/$299/$399-16gb/32gb/64gb. Take a gander at eBay and you'll see the prices that I talked about for used phones. And I'll DEFINITELY agree that there are a lot of fools out there that pay these prices. Why, I don't know. I heard that some don't have credit records that qualify for buying a new phone. Others find their way outside the US for whatever reason.

Didn't realize the if a NEXT phone contract is completed, I can then keep/sell the phone. Selling a 2 year old phone yields a lower price, but even those are going for upwards of $200. So, maybe NEXT is the way for me to go.

12. 0928001, Sep 8, 2014

0928001 Suspended

You must be truly ignorant to the fact that you have to sign a carrier contract to get a new iPhone for $199, and you are paying your carrier more per month to get that subsidized price. Don't insult other members when you're the one that has your information skewed. Sign your contract, pay $250 up front, and pay an additional $600 over the life of your contract. I will buy my phone outright and continue to enjoy my discounted plan, which saves money.

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

But until this past year, there was no difference in monthly rates on US carriers, whether you paid full price upfront or signed a new 2 year contract, so he's not incorrect. Of course, now that US carriers are finally offering reduced monthly rates if you pay full price (either up front or via programs like Next), this benefit is basically gone.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Some of these discussions are between funny, sad and well... just mis-understood.

Might help if folks included what they are paying for service and the phone. There is a WIDE variance depending on what plan people are on.

15. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502

StarShot

Don't know the details for monthly cost when buying the phone outright, but using next, I'm looking for 3 phones with a present bill of $140. With NEXT, I'm also looking at $140, but in addition, $27 a month per phone on the payment plan. I'm assuming if you plan was setup like mine ($140), instead of paying $27 per phone, I would have to pony up something around $650.

The only thing I get out of NEXT is 10GB verses 3GB and free texting.