Cost of repair in the US?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VinceField, Feb 11, 2017.

1. VinceField macrumors newbie

VinceField

I spilled water in my 2012 macbook pro and the apple store here in Brazil is trying to rob me! (I moved here from Jersey in 2013) This is what they said:
    "There are accelerated Fans, various sensor faults in the logic board, electrical short in the top case, and the battery is shot.
    When performing the internal inspection, since the Mac has gone through unauthorized assistance where there are signs of chemical bath and there are several missing internal screws.
    Due to contact with liquid, other parts may fail at any time.
    Logical plate: R $ 3,990.00
    Topcase: R $ 1,190.00
    Battery: R $ 1,090.00"

That's more than $2,000 US dollars. I can buy a new macbook for this price in the US!
    Any idea of what this would cost if I have my macbook shipped to the States to have it repaired by a technician, at an Apple store or privately?

It's a 2012 15" MACBOOK PRO 2.6GHZ QUAD i7 8GB RAM 750GB HD MD104LL

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Not worth repairing, just have someone buy a used one ($700 maybe) and ship it to you in Brazil.
    Or be brave a get a new one which will be night and day difference :D

3. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

A repair like that would be close to $1,000 in the United States assuming their assessment is correct. Given how expensive electronics are in Brazil compared to the US that doesn't seem unreasonable.

If shipping it to the US is an option I would go that route. I've seen liquid damaged computers come out to around $600 or $700 after being sent off to depot for repair.