Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Costumer who was ready to order the new iMac... what are my best options right now?

TinaBelcher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
719
340
I have a 16-inch MacBook Pro 2017 model, and I was ready to order the redesigned iMac 27-inches... but that didn't happen.

My last iMac was a late 2009 model, and sold it in 2017 due to failing graphic cards and being slow. First I held out for the rumored redesign in 2019, then early 2020, then the "reveal" at WWDC that didn't happen. Now the rumors say, wait 'til Q3, and some even say that Q3 or even Q4 iMac is just a refresh, not the new design... And I'm thinking to myself, what am I holding out for? This is ridiculous. I am now thinking about buying an used iMac either 2015 or 2017 model... or 2019 model if the price is right... all depending on how much money I can save on a well taken cared for model, and how much I can earn back by selling it once the new designed iMac does indeed get released.

For any expert out there, what would you recommend me doing? What would be my best investment, if, lets say, that the new designed iMac gets released with 4-6 months? Would it be foolish of me looking into buying an iMac right now, even if it's a used one? The reason I'm very eager and have very little patience is because my neck and posture is suffering from the MacBook despite using a stand for it, and I really badly want more screen as I'm gonna white my bachelor this fall. A monitor is not an option as those cost almost the same as an iMac these days...
 

BATman.Berlin

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
107
51
California
if you need an new iMac, just buy it. There are good options out there and a lot of discounts available. Also, refurb might be an option. Waiting for a new release is foolish in my eyes. First, the 2019 iMac is an awesome maschine. 2nd, it won’t stop working once apple comes up wit a new model.
I would buy whenever you need a new computer. Established platform, mature design and available applications make the current offering a good solution.
 
Comment

iOSGoober

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
25
10
Perhaps a used monitor as a stop-gap until the iMac 27" future becomes a little clearer? I know the cheaper monitors are miles behind the iMac or LG screens, but you would not be out of pocket much and could resell it without losing your shirt. iMac 27" are basically out of stock at Apple right now so there could be an update coming very soon. What that will look like is TBD. Could be a redesign or just a spec bump. Impossible to tell at the moment. I just feel that something will change in that space over the coming weeks so if I were in your shoes I'd hold for a little while longer. If the iMac 27 starts shipping again in next few weeks without any meaningful changes, then either pull the trigger or pick up a cheap monitor for a longer wait. I'd be shocked if a redesigned iMac 27 was not available in the next 12 months but I'm hoping for something much sooner than that. As with everyone else here though - that is all guesswork on my part.
 
Comment

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
1,064
336
I wouldn't fool around. Just buy something. It's not going to matter a huge amount whether it's a 2015 or 2016 or whatever, unless you really push the boundaries of what an iMac can do. I'd haunt the apple store refurb pages for a few weeks and if something that looks right at the right price shows up, grab it. The performance difference between a 2015 and 2019 is marginal for most users. You might also keep an eye on your local used market, if there is any.

A machine you buy today will function perfectly well for you for at least a few years, and by that time the changeover to ARM should be settling down and you can decide what to do next.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BluefinTuna
Comment

TinaBelcher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
719
340
I wouldn't fool around. Just buy something. It's not going to matter a huge amount whether it's a 2015 or 2016 or whatever, unless you really push the boundaries of what an iMac can do. I'd haunt the apple store refurb pages for a few weeks and if something that looks right at the right price shows up, grab it. The performance difference between a 2015 and 2019 is marginal for most users. You might also keep an eye on your local used market, if there is any.

A machine you buy today will function perfectly well for you for at least a few years, and by that time the changeover to ARM should be settling down and you can decide what to do next.
It’s not because I care about ARM but it’s because I want to have the new design, I’d actually buy an intel with new design rather than an ARM with new design
 
  • Like
Reactions: DQ11
Comment

iOSGoober

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
25
10
wow thats a long time to wait...

On the upside - there is a decent chance we will hear some news on a spec bump or redesign by then. Probably just a spec bump although as with everyone else around here I would love to see a redesigned chassis.
 
Comment

Yebubbleman

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
3,675
808
Los Angeles, CA
The rumored 24" iMac gives me some pause. If you want one of the form factors that they have RIGHT NOW, I'd buy that. Otherwise, I'd wait. One of the things I like about the current iMacs is that there isn't a T2 chip in tow. But the ARM iMacs should make it so that Secure Boot settings aren't system-wide and able to be applied on a per OS installation basis. So, yeah, I'd make your decision that way. If the 13" MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air was your target system, my advice would be much more clear cut and it'd be to wait.
 
Comment

LeeW

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2017
1,870
3,374
Glasgow, Scotland
They did say there were some new intel based Macs coming pre-Arm so I would probably have waited, the long wait time is usually a sign. It's not COVID related as all other devices are available right away.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DQ11
Comment

xWhiplash

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
2,801
1,714
They did say there were some new intel based Macs coming pre-Arm so I would probably have waited, the long wait time is usually a sign. It's not COVID related as all other devices are available right away.

The iPad Pro is shipping in August for me.
 
Comment

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
199
65
If I ordered the 27" BTO today I would get it August 20th it says.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.