Could an American host a show in another country that slams local politics?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I don’t really have a problem with us handing shows to Brits or Aussies making fun of our politics. We’ve made a solid case that we deserve to be ridiculed internationally, but it made me wonder if an American could get a pass in another country doing the same thing about that country’s politics.

2. Zwopple macrumors regular

Sure but would anyone watch it? Probably not unless it's own politics were not such a swamp.

3. 0007776 Suspended

I think to be able to get away with it your country needs to be in better shape politically than the country you are making fun of. For any Americans working on a comedy show mocking politics in a country that fits that description they likely would be executed by the dictator they are mocking.

4. DoubleFlyaway, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018

DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Exactly. I can imagine it working in Malta, for example, because they like Americans and their politics is a mess. Many other places, not so much.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It all depends.. I mean when you think about it, we already have the very same thing in reverse, when you look at Trevor Noah. He's from S. Africa, comes over here, takes over from Jon Stewart and slams our country's politics (even though a lot of what he says is true)..

Will that work elsewhere? It all depends on how well received they are into their society. Other than that, I'd say yes.

BL.

6. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

There would be a lot to criticize elsewhere but you'd be pilloried. You couldn't criticize the rape and slaughter of white farmers in South Africa without being racist. You can't criticize gays and apostates being executed in Iraq without being called Islamaphobic (imo, if you can criticize the Bible Belt in America, you can criticize fundamentalist Muslims, Muslims are not a minority in the Middle East). Perhaps an American can go to the UK and criticize how the government jails people who show their middle finger to a camera, fine people for making nazi jokes, but then "must consider the culture" for muslims raping women, yet you'd probably go to jail if you say something someone doesn't like. And Europe is a compete mess too. I don't get why it's so easy to criticize Americans. So many places are much much worse.

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

It would work in Italy if you were willing to be a bit racist and slam their radical left or right. Of course, you'd have to speak Italian.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Or you could just be reaching 80 years old and bang some chicks at a naughty party in a hotel room!!

Oh, wait... :eek::oops:;)

BL.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Rich Hall although he has the grace to take the piss out of Yanks as well as Brits.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

11. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Henning Wehn (German) springs to mind - while he doesn't have his own show he is regularly featured here on TV and gleefully rips into our collective idiocies. He is genuinely funny and that's the key with any of this.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I don't see why not? Here we have plenty of immigrant comedians making fun of our politicians. The problem is that you guys turned political comedy up a couple of orders of magnitude, so your situation is way more funny to laugh at than ours usually.. ;)

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Watching a train run along it's track isn't entertaining, but people LOVE watching a train wreck.:p

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Could an American host a show in another country that slams local politics?

They could, but first the American would have to be fluent enough in both the host countries language and politics to even attempt to be considered for such a show (that alone trims the list way down). Then they should probably not want to go to places that kill domestic let alone foreign political critics (e.g. Russia), and they probably should avoid the areas that they've messed with politically in the last century... (which trims the host country list way down)

It ends up being a tight market on both the supply and demand side. :)

15. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

isn't the point though that its nothing to do with politics, British especially seem to make better tv presenters. its not that Americans are popping up as tv presenters everywhere and just holding back their thoughts on the politics, its that you would struggle to find an American presenting or hosting a chat show in the uk.

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

Are you talking about Trump or Berlusconi?

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Both. ;)

BL.

18. Zenithal macrumors 604

And only one of those men are worth the money they claim to have.