Could an iPad with a bible application running be used for people to be sworn in?

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
When the nation turns to me to take over the White House, I will use an iPad for the swearing in ceremony.

It is almost time to turn to the Dark Knight.

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Bible and Swearing in

The Bible is a tradition for swearing in not a requirement so you could get sworn in on an iPad if that is your choice.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
If my iPad is displaying a photo of my ex-girlfriend holding my iPad and I sneak up behind her and smack her in the head with the iPad until she is dead, would that be considered suicide?

BJ

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
the idea of swearing on a bible is that you are swearing on something you belive and something you wouldn't want to wrong. If these words are carved on a tree they are still the same. Its not the book but the ideals behind it.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
If my iPad is displaying a photo of my ex-girlfriend holding my iPad and I sneak up behind her and smack her in the head with the iPad until she is dead, would that be considered suicide?

BJ
Yes, but you would be an accessory to the crime. Ask any lawyer, he'll tell you the same thing.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'd love to see the day when we don't use the bible to swear in our elected leaders. They should be placing their hand on a copy of the Constitution, not a meaningless 2,000 year old book.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008

BJ
Assisted suicide.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I'd love to see the day when we don't use the bible to swear in our elected leaders. They should be placing their hand on a copy of the Constitution, not a meaningless 2,000 year old book.
I agree completely, except for the last seven words, which are an attempt to troll and inflame.

MBX

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2006
How about no bible at all?

We should keep religion out of politics.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'm confused. I thought the US had a constitutional separation of church and state, meaning that the Bible is optional. What do Muslims, Jews, and atheists use?

In the UK, the bible is very much optional. When in court or other state ceremony, you always have the option of making an affirmation instead of swearing a religious oath. We've had this right in law since 1695 :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmation_in_law

Since 1695 the right to give an affirmation has existed in the United Kingdom.
The right to give an affirmation is now embodied in the Oaths Act 1978, c.19,[2] which prescribes the following form: "I, do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm," and then proceed with the words of the oath prescribed by law, omitting any words of imprecation or calling to witness.
Some religious Christians also refuse to swear on the bible they are telling the truth, because it implies in normal life they are liars. I respect that viewpoint.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm confused. I thought the US had a constitutional separation of church and state, meaning that the Bible is optional. What do Muslims, Jews, and atheists use?
You're assuming a Muslim, Jew or Atheist would ever be elected to the presidency.

A Jew....maybe, but sadly no way in hell a Muslim or Atheist will be. They're possibly the two most hated religious groups in America.