Could Apple be tricking us with all of these iPhone leaks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, May 13, 2010.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

First off, I'm not one of those people who doesn't want to accept that the leaked iPhones are most likely what we'll be seeing at WWDC.

However, does anyone think Apple could be setting this whole thing up? Leaking a new iPhone into the wild, that people have very mixed reactions on, only to reveal something completely different at WWDC?

I'm sure this idea has been thrown out there before, but it seems very un-Apple-like to have two or more phones get out into the wild.

And yeah, I know there's codes/serial numbers and what not in these leaked phones that indicate that it's an almost final design, but Apple could have put that there on purpose so people think that's what we'll be seeing.

Imagine how surprised everyone would be if Steve reveals a completely different-looking device than what we've been talking about for the past month?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The Gizmodo leak seemed legit. This second leak, isn't a leak; it's clearly a production product stolen out of a factory.

And I don't know. Why would a company risk/trick their shareholders/customers with fake leaks? It would either disappoint users if the final product wasn't the same as the leak. Not to mention the impact on stock price.

If you look at all other tech companies, their products leak so quickly. As Apple gets bigger and more dominant, their products will leak just as quickly - no matter how secretive they try to keep them.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That would be a prohibitively expensive ploy just to give Steve a "gotcha" moment at WWDC. It would cost tens of millions of dollars to design and produce a second fully-functioning successor iPhone, tens of millions which Apple would have no hope of recovering. Apple is a publicly-traded company with a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders. It just couldn't justify such an expense.

5. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying the phone's features and hardware specs will be completely different, but more-so the look of the phone. A lot of people, including myself, are disappointed that the screen is smaller than on previous iPhones. I don't mind the case design, but a lot of people don't like that either.

So perhaps Apple just made a different case/design for the phone? I don't think that would cost tens of millions of dollars.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

First you said you weren't saying this because you were disappointed by the design and now you mention that. Seems more like you're hoping it was a fake design leak.

What incentive does Apple have to purposely leak a fake design? Just to throw people off? What if people really loved this fake design? It would just further disappoint people.

The latest hardware "leak" is most likely the new iPhone.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

And what makes it "clearly a production product stolen out of a factory."

I disagree, the markings on the chip clearly make it a until that was never intended for retail sale.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Apple isn't stupid, they know they are losing ground this year with all these new Android phones. They will be launching the new iPhone 4/HD this summer.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I think because it was in Asia (where iPhones are manufactured) and also due to timing. If an iPhone is scheduled to release in June/July. Production would have a test run by now and full production during May.

I doubt someone randomly got a prototype (which would only be for CEOs/Execs) from a factory or whever in Asia.

I guess we can bump this thread right after WWDC and see who's right.

10. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I keep hoping against hope that that'll be the case, but I'm thinking the leak is going to be very close to what is "revealed" in June. (Don't get me wrong, I like most of the new design, but I'd love to see a larger screen and 64GB. That's all.)

11. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

That would be a huge risk and could very easily backfire. What guarantee is there that people would like the new secret design?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why? You don't like the way the leaked iPhone looks or its features?

13. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

>>Could Apple be tricking us with all of these iPhone leaks? <<

I highly doubt it. I cannot see ANY advantage to doing so, it could only backfire with bad pub once it became clear it was all a ruse by Apple.

Mike

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

IMO some of this seems intentional. Now with the EVO being introduced to ship June 4th, having more features and power over the 3GS, I think Apple could have slipped the "leak" out into the public eye in order to attract some attention for what will happen June 7th.

I know a lot of people are starting to get sick of the same UI and the same experience on the iPhone and want to try something new. If Apple did have a role in this, in order to catch the attention of a lot of customers, to keep them from going straight to the EVO as soon as it comes out.

Just to me it seems to weird how it has all played out.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    I don't think it's a trick or gimmick.

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    like all the others i highly, highly doubt it. too much possible backlash. Especially because Apple confirmed that the first one was at least some type of prototype of theirs.

and a lot of people like the new design. go find the poll on MR. Majority of people liked it more than the old design.

The only way it may be possibly intentional would be if they made the specs even BETTER. They need to have some sort of WOW factor during the keynote; they would never intentionally lose all of that suspense and reveal the iphone months before the keynote

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What would be the purpose and economic advantage from tricking us?

That would be a lot of effort and cost just for a surprise at WWDC? No, its highly unlikely that this is some sort of elaborate set up by apple.

Conversely, I'm sure Job's is stewing over the fact that not only has there been one leak about the new iPhone, but now two.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

They claim it came from the US. They could be lying, but to assume it came directly from a factory is....well...an assumption.

I don't think WWDC will reveal if this exact phone was a QC unit or a production retail until. The first tear-down will. If the same stickers and numbering are on that A4 processor, then we'll know. My bet is they won't.

19. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Wasn't it stated that the phone was attained in the US but taken to Asia.

Edit: Geckotek beat me

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No. If this was fake then Apple would not have asked the police to get invovled.

This is not even debatable.

I can understand the people who raised this theory right after the phone was found, but everything Apple has done since then has made it very clear that it's not some big scam.

21. manybranes macrumors newbie

I doubt it, because they seem to be legitimately upset about the Gizmodo scandal. I still think this is helping them more than hurting them though. They can marginalize Android growth in press releases all they want but the fact is Android is gaining massive momentum, and Apple's 1-handset-per-year approach will fail quickly in the new smartphone market which is defined by rapid updates and constantly introduced new features. All they can do for this product cycle is hope that this kind of news slows Android growth.

22. aluren macrumors 65816

I hope so. As much as I like the leaked iPhones, it would be awesome if Apple announced an iPhone at the WWDC with even more features.

23. mubo macrumors regular

Seeing as no one has seen these phones working with the OS software we don't know what features the new phone has yet. And I call the second leaked iPhone a fake/copy.

24. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

It would certainly be in their best interest to release something similar...I just hope these weren't models they were testing for a further out date.

That would SUCK!
    Not only for everyone that had gotten their hopes up...but because now the competition knows the next direction.

25. juan370Z macrumors regular

people i want you to look closer to the video of the vietnam iphone leak. notcie the red object on the table with the apple logo? could that be an....IPAD??????