Could I go triple-monitor with this?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jynto, May 16, 2012.

1. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

I was wondering if it was possible to connect my pre-Thunderbolt Macbook Pro to two external monitors at once with the relevant adapter. The Macbook Pro in question is the 13-inch model from mid-2009. The two monitors are a Panasonic with a VGA port that I've had for about six years (1440x900) and a Sony Bravia TV that I got last year (1366x768). It has several ports on the back, including two HDMI, VGA, USB and Scart.

I currently connect the Sony TV through the HDMI-MiniDP cable. And I have a VGA-MiniDP adapter for the other one. And they both work individually. But before I put down £38 on an HDMI-USB adapter, I'd just like to know if it can be done with both. And does my little Macbook have enough graphics muscle-power for the job (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256 MB of VRAM)?

Would the same setup work if I connected it through a bus-powered USB hub, rather than one of the ports on the side?

Also, I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 if that makes any difference.

2. faxoli macrumors newbie

The displays connected by USB are going to use the CPU to render the graphics, do the displays will be slower than those connected to the mini display port. For web browsing and ms office you should be fine but for displaying videos and you want to use the mini display port.

3. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

It will work, with the graphical limitations as stated above (video won't stream smooth.) Yiu can actually add a number of monitors via USB, it's pretty neat. I use mine on a powered USB hub, so I cannot say how it works on a non-powered hub.