Could I return my 3G iPad for a Wifi b/c of this change in AT&T service?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zeferjen, Jun 2, 2010.

1. zeferjen macrumors member

I just checked and I already used 3Gb of data in only 2 weeks. My rationale was to get a 16G 3G iPad and store most of our videos/music at home and stream it when out of the house. Maybe I am better off with 64Gb wifi and use my husbands' MiFi for emergencies. Is this a possibility? I've had it for about 2 weeks.

2. poloponies Suspended

If you're within 14 days they will swap it out but will likely charge a restocking fee.

3. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

What i would like to know is if they are going to waive the re-stocking fee for anyone within the 14 day period.

I got my iPad Saturday, Have not signed up for data yet and even though i still could i find myself still somewhere tied to a contact. Even though i can cancel anytime or skip a month, If i do so, I will lose the unlimited plan. So in reality your tied to a contract if you ask me.

They SHOULD waive re-stocking fees for people within the 14 days, Which is what i am hoping if my iPad doesnt sell on craigslist within the week for what i paid ( i didnt mark it up like most have done out there )

I am not going to play AT&Ts games...If they did this to us within 2 months, i am certain with another month or so, they will pull ALL the unlimited plans...

4. zeferjen thread starter macrumors member

5. jreuschl macrumors 6502

Really, the iPad was advertised as having these plans. Unless Apple somewhere stated "plans subject to change," anyone should be able to at least exchange it without a restocking fee, even if received on launch day.

6. za9ra22 macrumors 6502a

I must be missing something because I was under the impression that the change in AT&T data plans related to the iPhone, not the iPad. Are the iPad plans being changed too?

ON EDIT: I see I missed that announcement!

7. MiguelS macrumors regular

It was also stated that if you are currently an Unlimited Data Plan iPad user at $30, you may remain so if you continue with the same plan MTM.

I would like to know this.

Since I am at the brink of between 200mb-250MB of data, can I pay the $15 dollars and 1GB of data will cost me $10 more.

Would be nice to just pay $15 and they charge me $10 when I go over...which will not happen much.

Would suck if they start a different Tier Pricing for 200mb monthly contracts.

8. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

Maybe when the service is opened up to other companies one of them will capitalize on AT&T's new plans by offering an alternative competitively priced unlimited plan solely for the iPad.

I'd be bummed too as my non-3G iPad gets a ton of use at home and I would imagine that 2GB is far too low a cap -- but I wouldn't despair. I'm sure something will get worked out within the next few months, either by AT&T or one of the competitors.

9. jreuschl macrumors 6502

By who? All indications are that T-Mobile is not compatible with the iPad modem due to different frequencies, everyone else is CDMA.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Considering the bait and switch that Apple/AT&T have just pulled I'd say you have an excellent case for returning your iPad without a restocking fee--even if it was outside of the return window. You may have to speak with a customer service rep but I have a feeling you will not be alone.

11. iserian macrumors 6502

numerous stories of folks not having to pay the restocking fee - being able to upgrade and some being able to return after 15 day's - If you are at 16 stop by your Apple store and give it a shot.