Could iOS only being on Apple's products start to cause them problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tekno, Feb 14, 2013.

1. tekno macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking recently about how we're starting to see mobile OS appearing in other devices. Only the other day Vertu announced they were switching from Symbian to Android.

I think we'll start to see cars, home automation systems, TV's start to integrate more heavily and, as Apple don't allow their OS to be used in non Apple products, could this cause Apple's market share to decline further?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, it's worked out terribly for OS X so far. It's not going to happen, likely more of a chance of seeing Mario on Sony hardware or Halo on Nintendo hardware.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I'm 105 - 5 percent certain this won't hurt them.

4. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

I couldn't see the need for a car to have a desktop os. But I can see them being installed with something like android. And as more things use android I wonder if that may persuade people to ditch iPhones. I'm already noticing that my Panasonic tv talks nicely to my Samsung phone in a way that my iPhone didn't.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

My remote talks to my 6 year old TV, I'm not sure why I need to do it with my phone.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Toyota had to recall 1.5 million cars potentially affected with the brake and acceleration issue. None of the automobile manufacturers are going to allow iOS or Android to get close to the heart of the electrical/computing system in the average car. Would you stake your life on the reliability of Android or iOS in your car? I sure as hell wouldn't.

If Apple's problems are selling more and more phones then that's the right type of problem to have. At this point there are in no danger of losing the Halo effect. The consumer market globally is lucrative enough that Apple doesn't have to insert iOS in areas it really cannot make an impact.

7. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

It won't hurt them b/c Apple never goes after marketshare. They willingly position themselves as the Lexus of electronics. Expensive for sure, but not Lamborghini expensive. Expensive enough to be premium by everyone, but not out of reach of 99% of people like a Lamborghini is. This reputation/strategy allows them to charge with large, large mark ups, which means they don't need to sell as many units of their product to make the same amount of money.

Then you throw in the stock market since it's a publicly traded company, and no logic follows. If the stock market were logical, then more people would be rich. Amazon makes very little profit, but that doesn't matter for some reason. Apple makes alot of profits, but their stock gets hammered. So the biggest problem fighting against Apple is expectations of their shareholders. They could have 100% marketshare (oh they do with the mp3 player market) and still get hammered b/c the only way to go when you're on top is down, and the only way Apple could continue to do better is if they invented a time machine to appease investors.

8. Charadis macrumors 6502a

There was a time I would have said the same about Sonic on Nintendo hardware. Just saying

9. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I'm pretty sure Apple has done pretty good so far without offering iOS on third-party devices. I don't think Apple would resort to that anyways, they just design their own products and use their own software like they have with the Apple TV, iPhone and Macs.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Apple tried licensing their OS a long time ago and it didn't work out so well for them. I can't see them repeating that.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Lose market? Maybe. But Apple is known as the VERTICAL INTEGRATION company, meaning they keep tight controls of their products as to maintain a consistent user experience. That's an APPLE'S CORE.

Another APPLE CORE is they dont ask users what they want. If they do they probably sell more but they may end up with more models which historically they don't want.

So if u know u have a better idea, email to Cook.