Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamlife789

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
I saved up $2,062 on an Apple gift card and could not buy an iPad with it because they make the money tied to a credit card. How can I purchase an iPad with this gift card? What do I do? It's my only money devoted exclusively to Apple products.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
any friends or family want an mac? if so sell them the gift card for 2k and tell them they'll get the 62 bucks off and you'll have cash.

or look to sell it on craigslist maybe?

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
That stupid policy of Apples seriously pisses me off. I realize why, but people without any intention of reselling overseas are being punished unfairly. Apple is more than willing to take your money for a gift card, but then decides what you can or can't use it for. If they are trying to stop the opportunists, than let them charge $1 on a credit card if they insist on keep track of who is buying them.

What a stupid policy. The bigger Apple gets, the more belligerent and obnoxious they get.

dreamlife789

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
I don't think I could get $2,000 for it on Craig's List though. Is there any intelligent solution?

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Intelligent solution? Not per se. You could overpay to buy one used.

To buy a new iPad, you need to pay for at least 51% of the purchase price using a U.S. credit or debit card with your name on it.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I'm so sorry you can't use your GC.

Hopefully you'll find something...find a friend and offer it to them for $1900 or so.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you are willing to wait until end of may, it's likely that the credit-card only restriction will be lifted when ipads go on sale in other countries. Also, you could try going to an apple store and ask to speak to a manager, they can sometimes make exceptions to this policy. But make sure to be super nice about it, it's all up to how the manager feels toward you.

RSNL

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
I bought my 32 gb 3G with a gift card. I purchased it at caesars palace in las Vegas if that matters.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'll give you $1500 for the gift card right Now!! Lol!! This is just absolutely ridiculous that apple will not take they're own gift card for one of their products! I agree with the other poster who mentioned them charging a dollar on your card to get you in the "system" and then let you use the gift card! Has anyone read apples gift cards terms and conditions? I had a gift card one time and I'm not remembering who it was for but clearly in the terms and conditions it stated that it may be used to purchase any item in their store at any location and online. This may or may not be in their terms and conditions but it's a thought to check though!

dreamlife789

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
I'll give you $1500 for the gift card right Now!! Lol!! This is just absolutely ridiculous that apple will not take they're own gift card for one of their products! I agree with the other poster who mentioned them charging a dollar on your card to get you in the "system" and then let you use the gift card! Has anyone read apples gift cards terms and conditions? I had a gift card one time and I'm not remembering who it was for but clearly in the terms and conditions it stated that it may be used to purchase any item in their store at any location and online. This may or may not be in their terms and conditions but it's a thought to check though!

I'd sell it for $2,000. Nothing less. I'd even pay for shipping.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I saved up $2,062 on an Apple gift card and could not buy an iPad with it because they make the money tied to a credit card. How can I purchase an iPad with this gift card? What do I do? It's my only money devoted exclusively to Apple products.

I'll give you $829 cash for it.

PM me.

BJ

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
Intelligent solution? Not per se. You could overpay to buy one used.

To buy a new iPad, you need to pay for at least 51% of the purchase price using a U.S. credit or debit card with your name on it.

Not that it helps the original poster, but you don't need a US card. International is fine.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Buy another gift card with it for the correct price, and make apple refund you that money so you can buy it.

This is just insane and I'm sorry you are having to go thru it.

Verschoren

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2005
Antwerp, Belgium
Go to an Apple Store

Look for people willing to buy a new MBP or iMac

Offer them the following:
I pay for your Mac with my GiftCard
You pay my iPad with you Credit Card

Or something in that way?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
The email from SJ to someone indicated that the restriction was in place to prevent people from exceeding the 2 pp limit, and selling internationally. It also said the ban would be lifted once international shipments commenced.

It looks like you need to wait a couple of more weeks.

/Jim

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
Go to an Apple Store

Look for people willing to buy a new MBP or iMac

Offer them the following:
I pay for your Mac with my GiftCard
You pay my iPad with you Credit Card

Or something in that way?

Yes, I think quite a few people would be interested in that. Put an ad on your local Craigslist and surely someone will be willing to do that. Just use common sense and be careful :)

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
I would go into the Apple Store and demand to withdraw cash from the Gift Card or atleast credit the amount to one of your credit cards. There policies on this are unreal. Why to they care who gets the iPads? They get the same amount for them if 1 person buys 50 or if 25 people by 2 each.

It makes me wonder who Apple is now in this comerical

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Does Best Buy have this same dumbass policy? Because I have $400 in Best Buy gift cards that I want to use on a 16GB WiFi iPad.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I bought my iPad 3G 64GB with an Apple Gift Card from the online store. Didn’t have a problem at all.

See if the Apple Store will allow you to use the gift card for say 99% of the transaction and your debit/credit card for the other half.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Did you talk to the manager? I returned my two WiFi iPads and received a gift card as credit. When I stood in line for the 3G release I heard they weren't accepting gift cards and when I got into the store I spoke to the manager who let the purchase (of 2 3G iPads) go through. I did put the difference on a credit card but they didn't know that when they approved the transaction.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
If you have a credit card, they should let you put 99% of the cost on the gift card, and then put a very small amount on the credit card (like $1).
From my understanding, they just need a credit card on record.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
See if the Apple Store will allow you to use the gift card for say 99% of the transaction and your debit/credit card for the other half.

If he puts 99% on a gift card all that is left over is 1% not half. :)

Sorry I had to. No hard feelings?

It reminded me when a friend of mine was getting a settlement. She had 2 lawyers and a doctor involved and she said "I'm getting my settlement. 1/3 goes to the one lawyer, 1/3 goes to the other, a 1/3 goes to the doctor,and I get what's left" I just smiled and shook my head!!!!!!!!!

bigwayne3000

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
i dont understand why you all say they need a record of you buying the ipad. why would they need this for? also see if you can use the Apple card at best buy. i like the one guy who suggested that you just go to the store and talk to someone looking at the macs etc and offer to pay for their comp if they pay for your ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.