Could somebody recommend me what would be the FASTEST, ANONYMOUS, *PAID* VPN service?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lip5016, Nov 13, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

Could somebody recommend me what would be the FASTEST, ANONYMOUS, *PAID* VPN service? (2014)

I am looking into getting my 1st private/anonymous VPN service to use along with OSX Mavericks 10.9.5 and iOS 8..

I am looking for suggestions for a paid VPN that:

-doesn't collect any logs on it's users
    -helps maintain my top-tier-home-internet-speeds
    -great for p2p/torrenting
    -must be easy to set up/use
    -price doesn't really matter, but let's say less than $100 a year (looking for the best)

Thanks everybody!! :)

2. rnodern macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Sorry to bump, but I'm looking for this too.

I just tried privateinternetaccess.com, but the speeds are horrible for me. I used to get 1.1mb/s without VPN, but i can only get 60kb/s through their service... Although, I am in Australia. Not sure that would have anything to do with it. I understand that there will be a loss of speed with a VPN, but i don't expect 5% of my throughput :(

Need to try something else!

Cheers

3. rnodern macrumors newbie

4. ianj1972 macrumors member

https://airvpn.org

no throttling, running secure OpenVPN expect a 10% hit in unencrypted line speeds with correct hardware. I have a 120mbps line and usually see circa 110mbps.

all the stuff re privacy, tracking etc is on their site, worth reading up to understand whats what etc.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

6. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

5% is hardly anything. Your issue is your crappy internet to begin with, not the VPN.

I use private internet access and the difference isn't noticeable.

7. rnodern macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response.
    Although my internet isn't blisteringly fast, it's certainly not "crappy". I said it is 5% of my current speed. I.e. 60/1100kb = 5%
    Or a 95% slow down. However you look at it, that is crappy.

8. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

You're right, I wasn't paying attention to the actual numbers you gave. Where are you connecting? I just pulled a speed test and without Private Internet Access connected I get 60 Mb/s; connected to Australia that drops to 22 Mb/s, connected to Germany I get 55 Mb/s, and using auto connect I get 35 Mb/s (Paris). Surprisingly, connecting to the US Midwest (closest to me) I got 87 Mb/s.

If you're just using auto connected I would try connecting to some different places and see what's fastest. Obviously closer will be better.

9. rnodern macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. Tried a couple of different locations, much the same unfortunately. What I would give for those speeds! No cable in my area and crumby government national (but not really) optic roll out plan.

10. Fzang, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

I'm using VyprVPN (because I live in China). They have their own VPN protocol, many servers, low latencies, and online support chat that replies usually within 30 seconds. I can e.g. stream 1080p on Youtube with zero problems (on a good day, that is. On a bad day I can barely load 144p, but this is not related to the VPN).

Additionally it's easy to use and pleasing to the eye :p

Attached Files:

• VPN.png
      VPN.png
      File size:
      148.2 KB
      Views: