Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calexandre

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Hi all,

I've just returned from a year in Germany, where I enjoyed my unlocked 3G on a 10 EUR / month unlimited data plan. Now that I'm back to the States, things are looking decidedly less rosy in terms of cell plans. My US number is currently on T-mobile prepaid, and I can't add data through T-mobile to a prepaid account. I'm therefore trying to find a MONTHLY plan that will give me data access. Other than data, I primarily use my iPhone for sending and receiving international texts-- so I'm trying to keep the overall plan cost low, since I'll get dinged for those texts no matter what plan I choose, presumably.

I know ATT won't give me a monthly plan for the iPhone. Is a T-mobile plan thus still my best bet, or is there some third option I'm not thinking of?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Since it is unlocked, you could get an at&t Go Phone - Pick Your Plan. You won't get unlimited data, but you can get some. I know there is a similar thing with T-Mo, but you can get unlimited data, just not 3G due to T-Mo using AWS (1700MHz) for 3G instead of the the standard worldwide frequencies.

TEG

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Since it is unlocked, you could get an at&t Go Phone - Pick Your Plan. You won't get unlimited data, but you can get some. I know there is a similar thing with T-Mo, but you can get unlimited data, just not 3G due to T-Mo using AWS (1700MHz) for 3G instead of the the standard worldwide frequencies.

TEG

prepaid is like 25 cents a minute, too expensive on att.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.