Could someone check HE price of £929 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PhazonUK, Jun 13, 2012.

1. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I'm planning on selling my 2011 MBA for the new 2012 model and am just wondering if anyone could check how much the £929 model is after student discount.

2. snapper64 macrumors regular

3. Otumelty macrumors member

£799.20 with the higher education discount, and then obviously you get the app store voucher

4. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleCare is still £50 down from £200, right?

So new MBA with AppleCare would cost me £850?

5. Otumelty macrumors member

Yes, but you can only buy the applecare for that price at the time you buy your MBA, otherwise I think its 130

6. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Jonesy135 macrumors member

Jonesy135

If im not too late, mate, though this might help....

EDIT: i just did this a minute ago using my uni discount site

Attached Files:

8. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Can someone clear up a confusion..
    If you buy a mac through the HE store, don't you get 3 years worth of AppleCare tech anyway, the £50 gives you the 3 years telephone support on top?

On one part of the apple store it seems to say this, and on another it just says 1 year...:confused:

9. danetello macrumors 6502

Yes thats right, you will get 3 year's hardware support free and 3 years telephone support for the extra £40

10. Jonesy135 macrumors member

Jonesy135

yeah, i think you get 3 years applecare tech plus one year telephone support and the £48 bumps the telephone support up to two years...

i found this thread cleared it up for a fair amount... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022&highlight=fe+contract

11. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

can you order through HE even if your not in higher education?
    it obviously wont let me check the website because im not using a pc/mac at the uni?

12. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

The HE URLs are available outside the UNi if you google, someone has discovered the IDs for each HE site. However, if you're buying something from that website, you are bound by the T&Cs which state you must be a student or staff. (excellent link above, thanks)

Luckily I have a husband who is both! I know of a parent locally who ordered whilst not on their daughter's uni network as it's her first mac to take to college. Hers came through ok.

13. powsucks macrumors member

I just bought mine through the Oxford Brookes site when I'm at home *away from Uni) using the codes. But I am going to be studying there next year so if they ask I have proof etc.

I got the Air 1.8 i5 8GB 128 SSD, with the £70 voucher, wireless keyboard and mighty mouse for a total of £1030. Well happy with that price, it's under the standard price of the laptop on it's own! Now the countdown till I can stop using my 2007 macbook...

14. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Just a heads up to people.

I went to an Apple reatil store yesterday to pick up a MBA. Laptop was reduced to £800 but AppleCare was down from £200 to £140. So total came to £940 rather than the expected £850 total.

Now, is this just in-store or will this be the case if I order over the phone/internet?

15. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeh I just did a bit of Googling, found the link for my Uni's Apple Store and got my Air ordered.
    £800 with 3 years repair & 1 year telephone, and costs £48 to increase telephone service to 3 years.
    Plus a £70 iTunes voucher, and a free Mountain Lion upgrade.

Not bad...not bad at all.

16. biohead macrumors 6502

HE discount does differ between Brick and Mortar stores and Online store.

Online store = ~14% discount AND 3 years hardware support included (and BTS voucher)

Retail store = just the discount (and BTS voucher)

17. BenMero macrumors member

Is it all ok to order through your uni's store while at home and not actually 'connected' to your campus? I'm planning on doing this next month and would rather order online than over the phone..

18. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

I was the same, much easier to do it all online rather than have to tell someone all your details over the phone.

Well the order went through fine and I just received my confirmation email, so I'm assuming all is ok.

Have made HE purchases in-store before on this Apple ID (3 times now) so that might have helped slightly.

19. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

yea i found/gained access to Dundee University lol
    i have got the 11" MBA with 8gb, 128gb SSD
    applecare and the £70 voucher in my basket but scared to click buy incase i get found out

20. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

I'm still waiting to buy mine but friend across the road bought her daughter her iMac a month or two ago ready for uni through the OU web link when she was at home with no worries. Friend is studying an OU degree, my husband is doing an MBA with them, so we're covered.

21. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

RE: HE 3yr Warranty & £40 Applecare

If you don't live near a store you need applecare to cover shipping in case of repairs outside of year 1.

If you sell your laptop within the 3 years, the new owner registering it now cancels the 3yr HE warranty (this never used to be the case but is now)

The £40 uplift allows you to transfer the applecare to a new owner.

22. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

BTW check the fine print - if buying via the Education Store you already get 3 years of Applecare for repairs etc. for free and one year telephone support (only realised this last night when buying a new Macbook Air!), all the "Uplift" does, as far as I can tell, is to extend telephone support from one to three years - but who actually needs that?

----------

Yes, though I had to go through VPN to make it look like I was on my University's network, when going through the online store from home (this is considered acceptable usage).

----------

Really? Where did you find that out? Am still not sure its worth it, as I usually keep my Macbooks for at least 3 years

23. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

You don't need to order it through the VPN, my friend ordered hers at home not on the OU network and it all arrived fine. No idea if she was challenged for any ID, but she had it all ready if needed!