Could the Apple TV rumors be related to no new iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chilly willy, Jun 21, 2012.

1. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

*If* there is validity to the rumors of a Apple TV as discussed in other threads, I wonder if this might be a part of the delay in new iMacs. Perhaps with a new TV, Apple will seek to reset the form/design of iMac once get this new product out. Maybe they think it will siphon some buyers who'd currently pick an iMac (esp. 27" for media consumption...)

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but Apple giving me plenty of time to speculate. :(

2. Adam552 macrumors 6502

3. dbalone macrumors member

This has actually crossed my mind too. The iMac is already like a TV. I watch shows all the time on mind. Hey, what about a 21", 27", 46" and 55" iMac/iTV. Not too far fetched.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Except for the part where an ATV can run on Intel HD 4000 or worse due to only needing 1080p, and probably runs iOS.

5. Broseidon macrumors regular

If Apple launch a TV product / service I find it almost impossible to believe that the iMac would not possess most if not all of it's functionality.

After all - what could a stand-alone TV set do that an iMac couldn't already do...? To block iMac users access to what essentially would be a software update would be kind of madness as I guess the inevitable subscription revenue would far out strip any hardware revenues from selling stand-alone TV sets.

6. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I hope not. I want a powerful machine to work on, not a TV/Desktop.

7. Broseidon macrumors regular

Why? Having TV software on the iMac wouldn't make it any less powerful... how you use it is up to you.

8. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Don't think so.
    Maybe the truth is in the middle.
    As far as i experienced as you with Apple Products,Apple designs a kind of
    Ecosystem...i travel with my Iphone-->then i share with my Ipad my Numbers sheets,then i continue to work with my Mac.
    Now we know that Imacs aren't yet out,some say that its because of the Gpu,some are scared to see it discontinued..some are scared to see Osx fused in Ios..then the 2013 rumors we all know.
    So i was wondering..what if Cook simplifies the two lines ,Desktop and Monitors?.
    Desktop-->some kind of MacMini modules..to be docked togheter till you reach the MacPro power
    Cinema Display-->from 27 lcd to a retina version or to the Itv...
    But..as i learnt ,Apple use to do few steps together,if smallbumps,no redesign...etc..,so maybe we will see an Apple Television which will comunicate with the new iMACS we are waiting for by means of Air Display
    and no Imac delay relationship between Itv and Imac.

9. dbalone macrumors member

There is no reason why the current Apple Monitor could not become the iMac. In fact there has been a rumor at one point that a new iMac could look like the current Monitor. The monitor could be various sizes. Maybe this is the reason for the delay. The new Apple TV, iMac and Monitor are all going to be similar or one in the same. Who knows. Seems like just a good of reason as everyone else's.

10. mojothemonkey macrumors regular

I'm so sick of people decrying "genius" for implementing what they think will be siri crossed with googleTV and a dash of Xbox Kinect [voice] functionality.

If its going to be about accessing the same content as the appleTV, then only a fool would spend that kind of cash just to get access to siri-esque voice recognition. Actually interfacing with cable or satellite data is going to be the main challenge for them to integrate across thousands of providers and keeping the same experience. Right now there doesnt seem to be a good way to request the data from the cable box FROM the tv (program data), so they'll have to pull from some internet database, per provider, per location, per timezone, etc. There will be no standard of how much data is provided, show logos or preview images, etc.

11. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

If that's all the Apple TV is, we'd see that by now. Apple has something else up their sleeve.