could the GeoEye-1 spy satellite have a "classified mode"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gaetanomarano, Oct 12, 2008.

1. gaetanomarano macrumors newbie

gaetanomarano

everybody knows that the GPS satellites system has TWO operational modes:

1. a "clear" commercial/low accuracy mode, and

2. an "encrypted" military/higher accuracy mode

well, my question is: could the Google Intelligence Agency GeoEye-1 new spy satellite have also a VERY HI-RES "classified mode"?

GeoEye-1 Wired article http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/10/geoeye-1-super.html

Google Intelligenge Agency logo/patch/parody :)

[​IMG]

2. gaetanomarano thread starter macrumors newbie

gaetanomarano

GIA (Google Intelligence Agency) already has (or will have SOON) a tremendous database of sensible data on most of the inhabitants of the earth, something that not even the CIA and the KGB have ever had!!!

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

No, everybody doesn't "know," but since you're plastering the same post over every forum you can find, I guess they're finding out. :rolleyes:

And if you're referring to Selective Availability (which was the only dual-use capability of the system), that was fully discontinued in 2006 - the only thing affecting accuracy is your receiver. In point of fact many specialized civil uses have far greater accuracy than GP military uses. Even my Garmin gives me better than 5-meter accuracy with WAAS enabled.

As to the GeoEye, it's already been announced as to the maximum resolution for civil uses, and that will be less than government uses. No big secret here. From the usual sources: While GeoEye-1 is capable of imagery with details the size of 41 centimetres (16 in), Google will have access to details of 50 centimetres (20 in). Prior maximum commercial imagery was 60 centimetres (24 in).

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They will have sensible data? OH NOES!