iPad mini Could the iPad I just bought be "bricked" by Apple if it turns out to be stolen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by icebergx, Jan 9, 2015.

1. icebergx macrumors regular

I might get flamed for this, but I really don't mean to offend anyone. It's a genuine question.
    So I saw an online ad where I live (Denmark) selling an iPad mini 1 (wifi only) for DKK1200 (normally 1900 in store) brand new, in the packaging...

I met the guy and although he looked a bit scruffy, I believed him when he told me it was an unwanted christmas present. I also asked him if it was stolen and he denied it, but he didn't have a receipt. Anyway, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and took the iPad off him for DKK1100.

I just got home, and now I'm questioning if I did the right thing. Perhaps I'm being paranoid but maybe it is stolen?
    I haven't activated it yet but if I do so, could it be blocked/bricked by Apple?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3. icebergx, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's true... I'm kinda annoyed at my self now! But at the same time, it could also be perfectly legitimate...
    Can anything be done by Apple/the retailer to block the iPad, if it is stolen?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You will find out when you try to activate.
    If your iPad asks for an unfamiliar AppleID, and you can't activate, then you may be done.
    If you don't have any issues during activation, and that is successful, then enjoy your bargain!

5. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

So as soon as it's activated, it's OK, even if it's reported stolen later? I just activated and it seems OK.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

If it's already activated then you're good to go. It's wifi only so how do you suppose it would be reported stolen since it's not attached to a carrier? I don't think that's possible.

7. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah... I just checked it on the Apple site and it says that the Applecare will expire in exactly one year.
    Thanks for your help guys!

8. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

As far as I know, Apple doesn't blacklist any iPad or iPhone. If the stolen iDevice is reported to the police along with it's IMEI number, then the mobile carriers blacklist it's IMEI on their network.

The only way you could get locked out is if the seller or the previous user has not logged out of iCloud and not disabled Find my iPhone setting on the device.

Good people still exist in this world.

Congratulations to OP for snatching an excellent bargain.

Enjoy your iPad.

9. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man.