Could the 'iWatch' actually be named the iPod......?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheDeviceUser, Aug 31, 2014.

1. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Just a little speculation here, but it seems like the iWatch may well be positioned in a similar way to the iPod. E.g with there being a multiple devices with multiple price points that are not distinguished simply on screen size and storage. Therefore, I thought, what if the speculation about the product being called the 'iWatch', 'iTime', 'iBand' ect... was totally wrong, and it's going to be positioned as simply something called the 'iPod.....' (Not sure what after the iPod).

This would of course be interesting. We'd be essentially going from apple introducing an entirely new produce category, to simply a refresh of the iPod line. Would this hurt sales?

Of course.. this is entirely speculation. Nobody outside of Apple knows until possibly September 9th. But i'd like to know what MacRumor's members think...

2. Joe HS macrumors 6502

A lot of the other names thrown around are a mouthful. Someone on this forum said 'TimePod', which sort of bridges the gap between some of Apple's previous naming and a popular product line – although I don't like it personally and Time has only been used as a suffix.

I think I could see 'the all new iPod' happening – a strong, widely accepted name would help a new device category, but it all depends on what Apple is willing to do with the old iPods:

The current models have been left without being updated for a good couple of years (2012?) – and the classic even longer, supporting the idea that the name could be reused. I'm guessing here but I doubt sales are 'going well' even for the touch by past standards. On the other hand using the name would pretty much necessitate discontinuing the current lineup in one sweep, and who knows if Apple are ready to do that. It could be telling that Apple's September event looks to be all wearables and iPhone. Music could come in October but that would get crowded with iPad and potentially Macs, so we could have seen the last one.

Few people who don't already have one would be interested in a music player now and going forward. It's a decade and a half since Apple saw the conventional iPod format being in everyone's life. Everyone from preteens to the elderly have smartphones.

3. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

apple needs to step away from the i(capital letter)..... names. they are old, dull, and very very dumb sounding. its like every year "heres the new iThis... iThat. they should call the iWatch something quirky like the newton and emate. another apple name. the apple Jonathan, or Gala.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Just the fact you put it on your wrist makes it a completly diffrent product and it should have its own name.

5. juanrp, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

^^^I second this.
    The 6th generation nano could be worn as a watch.

But I don't think that the watch will be called an iPod. I don't even know what product line it would go into. My guess is the iPhone line.

6. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

One good thing is that if they name it 'i' followed by whatever, people will be able to know it belongs to Apple. Brand awareness :D

7. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

New product category, new name. But I doubt it will be called iWatch.

8. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fair enough... But we should have some speculation on what it'll be called.

iTime
    iWrist

?

9. ccolaco macrumors 6502

I think Gruber was the first to suggest iPod a few months ago. I've agreed since then. I think shows that this isn't just a device to tell time and give you notifications. It's a pod on yor wrist, and it's the centre of managing your digital hub. I hope they go with iPod.

10. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

Could the 'iWatch' actually be named the iPod......?

While I understand the new product category, new name concept it is hard to ignore the fact that the iPod is aging and becoming obsolete in both design and functionality. Using the iPod name for the new device might prevent the eventual demise of the iPod. I can see no other future for the iPod line, phones have largely taken their place for most.

11. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Too confusing with current product line unless they brand it as another member of that line:

iPod
    • Classic
    • Touch
    • Air (the new wearable device)

We'll see in a bit, I guess.

12. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I think since it will be so much more than a smart watch that it won't be called iWatch/iTime etc.
    iWrist is an option but doesn't sound that good. I like the 'iBand' name.
    8 days 7 hours 40 minutes till we find out. ;)

13. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like iBand. One thing to consider though, Apple (Maybe just out of coincidence) has always named it's new, major hardware products with an 'iP' at the start of the name

- iPod
    - iPhone
    - iPad

of course, this is not exclusive, e.g iCloud. Therefore, i'll be interesting to see what they go with.

14. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

15. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I very much agree. And they seem to have done so a little recently - I've noticed iCal is now just Calendar. And I'm sure there were more but I can't think of them at the moment.

But I think it will be an i-name. Like iPlay.

16. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

No way, they are definitely leveraging all the hype built up into an entire new product category, hence an entire new name.

iWatch:apple: