Could the M7 be used to stop phone from looking for a better signal?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sportsfrk214, Sep 16, 2013.

1. sportsfrk214, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

One of the biggest gripes I have about my iPhone is its performance in areas with poor service. As I understand it, when my phone is in an area with bad service, it constantly keeps looking for better service, even though I'm not moving and it'll never find better service until I move to a new location. Also as far as I know, iOS does not address this in any way. I know it's a reality because I can get 6 hours of 3G browsing in an area with good service, but only 2-3 hours in a place with bad service.

But now wouldn't it be cool if the M7 processor could tell the cellular radio that, hey, this person isn't moving. The signal wherever this person is sitting is really bad, but they're not moving so continuing to search for a better signal is pointless. I think this would be really cool. In this way, the M7 processor would tell the cellular radio to stop searching for a better signal since it ain't gonna find one. When you finally got up and started walking around again, the M7 would know this and then signal the phone to start searching for good signal again. This would really benefit people who spend hours sitting in areas with bad signal, and watch their battery just disappear.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

This kind of thing could already be done with what's in iPhone 5 and even 4 if not even earlier, but it hasn't been. It's not likely it'll be added just because of M7, but stranger things have happened.

3. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

From Apple's iPhone 5S webpage (under "M7 coprocessor"):

One could argue that the A7 (and prior) require intense amount of energy to constantly keep track of whether or not you're moving. On the other hand, movement tracking is the M7's specialty, and I'm sure it does its job efficiently.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That would require far less energy than scanning for non-existent networks.

5. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

With a poor signal, the phone must use more power to connect to the tower. This has little to do with "looking for better signal" and everything to do with the physics of sending a signal farther. Just takes more power.