Could the new 32gb 3Gs be used as a cheaper alternative to the 32gb iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleNewYork, Jun 28, 2009.

1. AppleNewYork macrumors member

It's $100 cheaper...
    Or am I missing something

2. Surely Guest

Surely

I think you're missing something. It's called the 2 year contract you have to sign up for.

Let's see your math.

3. brax.j macrumors regular

4. AppleNewYork thread starter macrumors member

we have AT&T and we can upgrade... am i still missing something

5. Surely Guest

Surely

When you upgrade, you sign a new 2 year contract. <-------- THIS

6. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

32GB 3GS is $699 without 2-year contract.

With 2-year contract, you will end up paying far over $699 just for the iPhone even after adding all the great services AT$T provides you.

If you just need an iPod Touch, just buying an iPod Touch is way much cheaper deal.

7. ryanvalle macrumors member

2 year contract math:
    $30 a month for data...it's necessary
    $30x12 months = $360 extra per year
    but its a 2 year contract...so double that
    $720 extra for the contract that you have to pay for in addition to the voice you pay for your current cellphone...

8. AppleNewYork thread starter macrumors member

no problem..we like att

9. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^^ Okay. But that is how it is not cheaper than buying an iPod Touch. It doesn't matter if you like AT&T or not.

I don't agree with your math.

Sure, part of that $720 goes towards the iPhone subsidy. But part of it goes towards your ability to actually USE the 3G/EDGE network.

Your math implies that:
    $299 + $720 = $1019 is the price of the iPhone, and the data plan is free.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You have to sign up for a special iPhone plan or add $30 a month for unlimited data to a current family plan. The iPhone, especially with the iPhone 3GS, has always been so much better to me since you can use data anywhere, and it obviously has a phone. The screen has also always been noticeably better on a current-gen iPhone than a current-gen iPod Touch. You're obviously getting
    all of the much better specifications and features of the iPhone 3GS, as well as a camera, too. Even though the plan costs more, owning an iPod Touch has always been an inferior experience. iPod Touch owners don't know what they're missing out on until they get an iPhone.

11. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Lol. Sure iPhone 3G S is at least $1679.76+299+tax while your iPod Touch is $399+tax. Think about it.

12. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

Where the **** is all this math coming in to play? The OP has at&t and will continue to have service with them. It's no different then his normal voice plan. It's not extra unless he doesn't have data in which I'm sure he was planning on doing so anyways. He is eligible to upgrade and two years does nothing to him if he is happy and is staying with the carrier. FAIL!

To OP: Yes, it's cheaper. Go for it. Enjoy.

13. ryanvalle macrumors member

my math doesn't take into account the true price of the phone (subsidy) and the data, but simply the cost of owning each device.

14. ryanvalle macrumors member

math comes to play because you pay a monthly price in addition to owning the phone.

he's with ATT, but I'm assuming he owns a voice only plan, meaning he still has an extra premium to pay in order to get the iPhone working...

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You forgot to add or factor in the 2 years you have to pay $60/month minimum.

16. 2000m macrumors member

2000m

if you don't plan on using the iphone as a phone, just remove the sim card and put it in the phone your currently using.....you have to extend your current plan for 2 years... so yes its a good deal
    if the phone your using is not a 3g phone you dont have to pay for a 3g plan

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You forgot to add the $5 minimum SMS/MMS plan most likely many will add, also taking into account the minimum, the $39.00 most people will pay(others will pay even more).

18. ryanvalle macrumors member

I did not take into account those because he said he was a current ATT subscriber, so he wouldn't be paying anything additional to what he is paying for right now for voice and if he isn't paying for text right now, chances are he won't pay for it on the iPhone. If he does pay for it now, chances are that it won't change. All that I did take into account is the additional fees he would be faced on a monthly basis to get the phone working, which is $30 plus tax.

19. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I'll leave the maths to others, but it has other benefits over the iPod. Apart from the camera which has been mentioned, it has a built in microphone so if you use voice notes you won't need to carry a headset. Also the speaker is much louder so it's better for music if you don't have your headset.

Negatives though, it's more bulky than an iPod. Compared side by side it's easy to see the difference. I know which one I'd prefer in my shirt pocket all day. If you are going to use it as a phone too then this does not matter.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Why doesn't the OP just wait about two months until the iPod touch refreshes come out?

21. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

They like AT&T.

22. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

I don't know why everyone bashes AT&T. Their service is better than T-Mobile, etc. Also, their 3G coverage is WAY better than the other companies. Here, in backwards Albuquerque, I get 3G even on the edge of the city where I live - full bars. Yes, AT&T are a little more expensive than most other cell phone carriers. BUT the whole Apple experience you get with the iPhone is definitely worth the extra cost IMHO. Plus, when I move to Dallas in one year, I will have even better 3G coverage than here. Apple made a smart choice in picking AT&T - their 3G coverage is superior. Look at the coverage maps from all carriers if you don't believe me.

23. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

although i dislike AT&T i go to what ever carrier the iphone is on
    [​IMG]

24. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I think what the OP is trying to say is that since they will be signing a contract with a phone carrier anyway, it's cheaper and better for them to buy an iPhone than it is an iPod Touch and a (insert smartphone here).

25. AppleNewYork thread starter macrumors member

I already own an iPod Touch. But this was mainly meant for when the new iPod Touch comes out in the fall, would it just be cheaper to run with the iPhone