Could the rumoured new Air be more expensive than the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ByteTheBooty, Mar 8, 2015.

1. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

This thread probably already exists somewhere i know but could the retina MBA be more expensive than the rMBP??

If it actually comes out, its rumoured that it will be: less powerful, smaller screen size, less ports than the current rMBP

I really really hope its the same or less expensive than the rMBP...or else i dont think Ill be able to afford it..

What do you guys think?

2. Woochoo macrumors 6502

No way. Maybe when the first Air came out it happened because it was a new stuff and didn't exist before, but nowadays? If the rMBA costs more than the rMBP the people would continue using actual MBA or go for a rMBP which is a quite portable and enough slim with retina display. Apart from that, why would it cost more having less RAM, far worse processor (if it comes with Core M) and probably less ports? Just because they did it thinner? If that ever happens, GL to those early adopters, I won't throw my money on that having greater options in the Mac family.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Bingo. It's going to be cheaper for Apple to manufacture overall. The original Air was expensive for obvious reasons, but this will definitely be cheaper. I can see a situation where it does start at more than $999, though. But not much more than that.

4. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

No. It may be as expensive as the base MBP (which may very well be discontinued), but not the rMBA.

That doesn't make sense, whether you're looking at the cost of the machine, or the positionning. The overall performance difference would also make that unsustainable IMO.

It's not all about the screen, and even if it was, a 12" should be less expensive to produce than a 13", all other things being equal.

5. ByteTheBooty thread starter macrumors regular

You guys seem to make sense, but when the 15' rMBP came out it was much more expensive than the non retina MBP, same when the 13' rMBP came out (Started at 1800$!!!) So if they are going to keep the current 11 and 13' MBA in the line up, the rMBA is going to be more expensive...

6. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

I think it will be $100 cheaper than the cheapest 13inch rmbp. 1199 is my bet.

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yes, but that would still make it less expensive than the rMBP.

8. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

More expensive than the non-retina MBA, for sure. Not more expensive than the 13" rMBP.

9. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

My dream is that it would be more expensive. I don't think will happen, though. I suspect it will eventually be Apple's extra level computer.

I'd like the MBA 12" to be special (again, like the initial version).

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well it doesn't need a high price in order for that to happen.

11. yngrshr macrumors regular

Why in God's name would you "dream" for it to be more expensive than the rMBP . . . ?

12. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I don't know exactly what you mean by this. Obviously it will gain a Retina display and maybe become a little thinner, but I'm confident it will still be priced as Apple's entry-level laptop, since that's all it will need to be.

Also, priced higher it would have trouble competing with the rMBP and even previous generaton Airs, and Apple knows it.

13. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

A more expensive MBA would mean that it contained premium materials and components to make it smaller. The original MBA was very expensive because it was a unique computer. Nothing else was as thin because Apple used advanced technology to get it so thin.

14. JonLa macrumors 6502

You don't think this new machine will be similarly cutting edge?