Could there be two different sized iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcman77, Mar 18, 2012.

?

Could Apple produce more than 1 size iPhone?

1. Yes, it could be possible.

25 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Yes, but Apple won't produce that.

34 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No, cause I don't want choice.

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. No .. just no.

39 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

There is two variations of the iMacs, the 21.5" and the 27"

Two variations of the MBA, 11.6" and the 13.3"

Three variations of the MBP, 13.3", 15.4" and the 17"

Four vairations of the iPods, shuffle, mini, touch and classic.

Is it possible to have two or three different sized iphones?

A 3.5" Classic

B 4-4.2" iPhone

C 5" iPhad

Could Apple produce a iPhone that will fit different users all equally?

Some people use their phones with two hands, and aren't after a small 1 handed phone.

Some people want 1 handed phones.

2. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

If Apple ever change the screen size of the iPhone, the new one would be sold along side the previous version, So yes, theoretically there could be two different iPhone's sold at the same time with different screen sizes.

I do however doubt that Apple would release two new iPhone's at the same time with different screen sizes.

3. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

A 3.5 inch iPhone and a 4.3 inch iPhone would be great. They have produced multiple forms of iPods so they can do it with the iPhone too but the decision is theirs to make.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I would love a 4.3 inch iPhone.

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

If Apple were to introduce a larger screen, I can see a second model continuing at the current size, maybe a cheaper plastic unibody version.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I don't really see it happening. It would make development a bit of a pain because of all the slightly different resolutions. They get away with it now because the res is doubled, and images can be scaled.

I suppose they could consider keeping the resolution constant across a slightly varying screen size, but then there would be noticeable differences between the screens (since they'd all have varying pixel densities). They'd also potentially lose "retina" status on the larger screens if they went that route.

7. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know there are 9 Trolls that passed this thread lol

I don't know why anyone wants to avoid having two different sizes! :rolleyes: it is hilarious!!

Why though? Can't you see a iphone 4s like phone redesigned and called iPhone mini or classic. Then the same spec phone just 4.5" for example called something else? I don't see apple doing that either....but its still feasable

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Can't see 5", but keeping the 3.5" 4S and having a 4" new iPhone would be possible, if not highly likely.

9. kaielement macrumors 65816

Apple hasn't made the Mini in years. They discontinued it for the Nano Just saying lol. Sorry OCD is coming out.

10. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

Like you, I can't see Apple doing that.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, this is the only way I see Apple doing 2 different screen sizes.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Optimal: Apple sells 3.5" and 4.3" variants of the same phone.
    Realistic: Apple continues to only sell a 3.5" iPhone.

13. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but there isn't much difference between 3.5 and 4". You are probably right though, knowing apple.

IMO there should be a difference between the two devices. There are so many people who don't mind using two hands when operating a phone and would prefer the screen real estate.

The 5" is not as bad as people make out to be, its the same IMO as moving from a traditional phone to a smart phone...at first its huge, then you just can't go back.

That's right! woops just slipped my mind :eek: so that gives another option to the ipod group !

14. irDigital0l Guest

I think they will just up the screen to 4 inches.

Anything else is too big and 3.5'' is kinda too small.

Unless they release like a smaller iPad, I don't see them releasing 2 iPhones and the same time.

15. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't understand how people say anything above 4" is too big.

Do you remember when you first saw an iphone? ... most people were like That is big! too big!

Now many people are saying that it's a bit too small :rolleyes: 4.3 and even 4.7 is not too big. Not too big to stick in your jeans, to put up to your face, to use in your hands. It just takes getting use to.

16. irDigital0l Guest

I think when people saw the first iPhone, they said the screen was big because it literally was big. No other smartphone had a 3.5'' screen with no physical keyboard.

Bigger screen size is good, but bigger doesn't mean better. Seen some of my android friends. They tend to carry their android phones in their hands and bring chargers to school. Big screen can also affect battery life.

lol people will be asking for a 5'' phone not too soon (Samsung Galaxy Note).

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note/index.html?type=find

Look at the video, that guys hand is HUGE.

I really don't think Apple would make the jump from 3.5'' to 4.7''...

Might have 4'' (which is perfect) this year then a few years later have a 4.7''.

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Heh, here's my admitted hypocrisy. I don't want choice for the iphone cause I want the current size (but I still want everything else to be the best tech) but at the same time I wish they would also make a smaller ipad.

Now... here's my reasoning.

Because I want the smaller iPhone, I fear if they make a bigger iPhone they would do what they did with the MacBook Pros, where the smallest one won't have as good tech either (just making the small one, or in this case the original sized one, the econo model). I want the highest tech and all (since I game on my iphone), but I want it to be as portable as it is now.

But with the iPad I really just want a glorified e-reader (I'd love to have the app availability of the Appstore but I mostly think I'll use it to read e-books). Which it would be a better ebook reader if it were smaller honestly. So I don't mind if the smaller one is not as powerful.

But because what I fear isn't that they offer choice, but they will ruin the one I want for the purposes I want if they offer a choice.

That being said, I think I'm SOL when it comes to the iPad (but my mom is giving me her iPad 2 for free and I'll deal with the size being a bit bigger than what I want for free and I'm not going to buy another iPad just cause it's smaller) but I think I don't have to worry with the iPhone. Cause i don't think Apple will introduce a choice (I think it's more likely with the iPad than the iPhone but from what I hear the way they did iOS makes scaling the resolution if it is not just an easy doubling or halfing of resolution for developers really fragmented so I don't think Apple is going to make different sizes).

18. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

Easy, they'll drop the price of the 4S and make new one with 4" pretty sure both will sell well.

19. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

Apple called big phones bricks, i doubt they will make anything bigger than 3.7

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Jobs said a lot of things and then turned around and did the exact opposite of what he said. If anything that makes it more likely

21. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've used a galaxy note, i'm telling you dude that the difference is like going from a featured phone to an iphone. Its only BIG in the begining, then its just normal and after that its 'how can i go back to the other small devices'.

Also, just an FYI, Galaxy Note has the longest battery to date. Longest talktime, surf time and everything....by a good margin 1 :cool:

That + iOS might be a good mix.

The best thing for you will be a 5" device :p try it 1 week and you won't go back. Its much better than carrying around 2 devices.

22. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I doubt Apple will release two different sized iPhones at launch next time, yeh if the new one is bigger it will sell alongside the 4S and previous iPhones... but not the samething as actually having two new current choices (MBA 11 & 13 etc)

I personally love the size and feel more of my GSII which is the smaller one at 4.3", don't necessarily want anything bigger or smaller now, think 4" would be the minimum to me. But everyones opinions are different, some will prefer the 3.5" screen and others prefer 4.5"+ screens.

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Uh, no thank you. I wasn't planning on carrying my iPad everywhere and I certainly don't want a phone that's too big to take everywhere (and sorry, 5" just won't fit in a pocket well and definitely not in my purse). If I wanted a 5" PDA I'd have a seperate dumbphone for when it is not convenient to be carrying such a large device around. The iPhone is perfect sized for mobility and phone use. The iPad would be more for home use (mostly ebook reading, which is why it's ideally too big).

24. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

25. SurferMan macrumors 65816

you must have an extremely small purse for something 5" to not fit, gf's Kindle fire fits perfect in her purse and it's packed and i would guess on the smaller side of average. iPad sure as hell won't fit, but the Fire does.