Could this be water damage? iPhone5 Water Damaged Screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlackKnight., Aug 8, 2013.

1. BlackKnight. macrumors newbie

Hey guys so let me just give you a bit of background info.

My phone woke me up today, like it does everyday, at 6:30am. I swiped and turned off the alarm.

I went through my morning routine and grabbed my phone from the charger and put it in my front pocket.

About an hour into the work day at 9:00am I noticed that my screen was darker in some areas and really bright in other areas.

It looks very similiar to this poor souls phone [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

My screen is more uniform. It is a solid shade darker all around the right side and bottom but it is uniform unlike the image above.

It functions just fine. Touchscreen is responsive, home button works, as well as the speakers, camera, and flash.

Now, I didn't spill any liquids on to it and at no point has it ever been under water. Could it be water damage?

How could it have been fine at my house and then all screwy a few hours later?

How can I find out if it is water damage?

Is there any way to open the phone without apple finding out? I have the proper tools to open it.

2. TheProFTW macrumors regular

There should be something yellow on the headphone jack if its water damage

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's a 3G or 3GS in that picture neither of which has a screen that was glued to the glass so a gap was there for water/dust to get in. The 4/4s and 5 have glued screens you would have to stick your phone in water for a long time to get anything in there. Something else is wrong with your screen. Pop it into apple

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No - that is signature water damage.

5. BlackKnight. thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you talking about the little white ring around the opening for the headphone jack?

----------

Im glad to hear that. Is there any way to confirm that it is not water damage?

----------

The picture above is worse than my screen, I just used that since I have no way of getting a picture of my phone atm. It is similar in the sense that my screen is a few shades darker on one side and bottom as opposed to the rest of the screen. It does look like maybe something got in back there.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302

Water sensor location

7. BlackKnight. thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks for the help.

I went ahead and checked . . . . . . . . . . Its pure white. Looks like I will be heading into apple today to see if they can repair my screen. If they cannot repair it will they just give me a new phone on the spot?

8. TeamiSports macrumors newbie

It does look like moisture which is odd if you dont recall spilling anything on it. Did you have it in a bathroom while you were showering? That could have possibly collected moisture? And I doubt they will warranty replace a 3g/3gs.

9. BlackKnight. thread starter macrumors newbie

That was just a picture I found on the internet that was somewhat similar to mine. I have an iPhone5.

10. BlackKnight. thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got back from the apple store in Naperville IL . . . . . . . . . . no dice.

They said that there was water damage inside the phone even though the marker was completely dry.

I thought about going to another store, after opening and drying any moisture that might be inside,but I figured they probably flagged my device in their system.

I should of asked them to show me the damage.

I dont even know how water could of gotten inside.

Oh well, christmas is just around the corner . . . . .

11. TheProFTW macrumors regular

12. BlackKnight. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah Im going to over the weekend.

Worst case scenerio there is always this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2720X68496

Have any of you ever bought and replaced your own screens? It seems pretty simple and straight forward. Im just concerned about the quality as well as the fact that apple claims their iPhone 5 screen is a retina display.

Newegg does claim that it is apple brand. 109 is a lot better than 229 but still far off from free.

13. AppleCruncher macrumors regular

Isn't there a lawsuit for denied water damage claims?

14. TheProFTW macrumors regular

15. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

I have had this happen with a 3rd gen ipod touch. It looked like water damage until I opened it up and realized that a film covering the LCD had started lifting up. This film has an oily substance that goes in between it and the actual LCD screen.

You're most likely looking at replacing your screen. If the indicator in the headphone jack shows a negative for water damage then this is likely to be your issue.

16. ant1298 macrumors 6502

ant1298

I don't see how they can install water detector spots and when they haven't detected water still make a call that it's water damage.

If the spots had detected water then there would be no chance they'd say it wasn't water damage.

I think you should have argued the case and told them that unless they could show you clear proof that it was water damage, use the fact water detector spots are installed, then they need to replace the phone.

17. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Dry it out in rice, then take it in. Argue there is no water damage. No sensors were set off. Don't buckle.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

There are multiple detectors in the phone and if the OPs looks even half as bad as the pic they posted [I do realize it's not their phone] it's clear that it's gone swimming in something.

19. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

The OP starts from the moment they woke up, at 6:30 am. Perhaps if they can recall (or not) the evening before, we may get an indication of if the phone has water damage (or some other kind of liquid.) ;)

j/k of course. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I hope you are able to get them to fix it.

20. TeamiSports macrumors newbie

Ahh I see.... Was anyone else home? Maybe someone used your phone and didn't tell you a bout a little mishap while you were sleeping haha. My kids are always sneaking off with my phone.

Sorry to hear about your troubles though. Good luck!

21. BlackKnight. thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know where the other sensors are located?

----------

The sensor in the simcard slot was dry but they stated that the other internal sensors were damaged. Although they did not show them to me.

----------

Can you elaborate on this?

22. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

23. MyMacintosh macrumors regular

Thats my apple store :)

24. BlackKnight. thread starter macrumors newbie

no I don't.

----------

Do you work there?

25. BlackKnight. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well looks like the phone is bone dry inside and none of the markers are even a little red/pink. Looks like apple is full of ****. At least the Naperville IL store is.