Could this ever be a possibility?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jblackb, Aug 13, 2013.

1. jblackb macrumors newbie

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize in advance if this has already been posted a thousand times. Just saw this mockup of a possible iPhone 6 design, and I was wondering the board's take if it could ever actually be a possibility.

I think it's absolutely stunning and would change the game forever, but wondering if others shared my same sentiment or not. Thoughts? Thanks guys.

http://www.behance.net/gallery/iPhone-6-An-edgy-concept/7617209

2. maxosx macrumors 68020

It fits with Apples obsession with tiny phones.

3. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

iPhone 7 maybe?

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

whats the point?

most people will just put it in an ugly bumper case over it that would instantly cover up the sides of that screen.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not too bad looking, but I'm not really fond of edge-to-edge designs.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Not a bad start, but if edge-to-edge is what u want, I want the upper/lover bezels gone too.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I hope that's not the 6. It looks to much like a 4 and 5. The 6 needs to be a drastic change similar from the 3 to the 4.

8. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Why?

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

It's nice, but a few millimeters of real estate left to right will not change the game forever.

And I agree that a glass phone you can't attach a case to would be problematic.

----------

An iPhone is an LCD screen sandwiched to a motherboard and a battery, housed in metal/plastic/glass. All smart phones are. Not a single smart phone on the market today is drastically different, design wise, from another.

10. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I notice that this mockup doesn't have a physical home button. I've also seen in many forums that people what apple to do away with a physical home button.

Why is everybody in such a big damn hurry to get rid of the physical home button?

I like it. I've owned a couple of androids that have capacitive buttons... they suck. You push it... maybe... did it register? better push it again... damn... I pushed it twice... Screw it *Throws it in the garbage*

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There are certainly those that do but I'm not one of them. Anything's possible but I don't see this as likely.

13. cynics macrumors G4

Its a moot point, to me anyway. The entire screen is capacitive so what's the difference of another one or on screen home button.

Plus the same thing happens to me with the physical home button. Press it, nothing happens, did it register? Is the button wearing out? Oh the phone just hung for a second. Which in that second I pressed the home button again and now the multitasking tray is up.

However I do like being able to wake the phone with the home button. Best of my knowledge capacitive button can't do that, and if it could it would probably get too many accidental presses.

14. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

The Nokia N9 has no home button. To wake the phone, you double tap on the touch screen.

I'd be interested to know what the resolution of the screen would be. Apple has always been careful to make scaling easy. When they went from the 3GS to the 4, they simply doubled the resolution. This edge to edge display is not going to be as simple to scale while maintaining the pixel density, so they can still call it a "retina display."

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not that I want an edge to edge display, but scaling it shouldn't be a problem -- just keep the screen size the same, and have a phone that's smaller overall than the 5.

16. cynics macrumors G4

I'd like that. I know a lot of people want a bigger screen but I like the idea of a smaller phone around the 4" screen.

The galaxy s4 did that to an extent. The display on the S4 is bigger then the S3 but the phone is smaller. I think that is a step in the right direction.

I said this before but I was assuming the iPhone 5 would have similar dimensions to the 4/4S but with a larger screen on it.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Could it ever be possible? Sure, why not? There is nothing there that I feel completely denies any laws of physics.

18. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

There at three issues.

1. Does technology allow for such a design? If there is no side to the screen how would it work?

2. Drop that phone once and it's gone. And, if it's not gone people why cry over scratches.

3. Any cover or case would cover up the sides, leading to the question does it even matter if the screen goes to the side?

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

No, it doesn't.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

It doesn't need to be, but more than likely it will be, as has been the case thus far.

21. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'd like the next iPhone to look as close to this. It's an old concept, but still looks edgy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Markyyy, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

Markyyy macrumors regular

@OP: It's possible, but I don't think anyone produces a display that doesn't have any bezel at each side. Definately possible though. The display wouldn't be well protected at all, so I doubt this desing would be a good choice for any phone make to produce (until some new technology arrives which provides some kind of solution)

I love the iPod Touch 5G design much more than the iPhone 5 design, which has the chamferred bezel on both the front and back edges. Need's to have a curved back edge so it sits more comfortably in your hands.
    [​IMG]

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

So far it seems that the iPhone 5C will likely fit that type of design.

24. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Have to admit that these mock ups look absolutely gorgeous and I'm pretty sure that if anyone can pull it off, it will be Apple.
    I was and still am quietly hoping that Apple will introduce bigger screen iPhone this September ;)