Could use the opinion of those dieters and gym junkies out there

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gadgetgirl85, May 18, 2009.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I could use some advice on my breakfast options. I work out 6x a week 4 RPMS, 1 pump and 2 weight sessions. I'm just wondering which you think is the best breakfast option? I've worked out cals, protein, carbs and fat

Breakfast 1:
    60g untoasted museli with a small amount of skim lactose free milk
    1 tub of nestle diet yoghurt

= 352 calories
    17 grams protein
    19 grams sugar
    39.4 grams of carbs
    10.3 grams fat

Breakfast 2
    2 slices of wholemeal toast with 15g of low fat peanut butter on each piece

= 349 calories
    13.5 grams of fat
    44.5 carbs
    12 grams protein
    3.8 grams sugar

From my perspective it all looks much of a muchness until I look at the sugar and it appears that breakfast 1 has much more sugar in it. I thought eating museli and low fat yoghurt would be a good choice until I calculated out the sugar level. I know its from fruit but still. On the other hand breakfast 2 has a slightly higher fat and carb count. What do people think which is the better option? I could cycle between the two but I'm wondering which is better to eat more often. I do work at high levels of intensity 6 days a week so I need the energy

2. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Honestly, it doesn't really matter.

Why do you think it is an either-or decision? You can have the muesli breakfast one day, and peanut butter toast the other if you like.

3. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

The carbs from wholemeal toast are low GI and something your body needs to fuel those workouts.

Have you tried eating porridge for breakfast? You can make it with water/skimmed milk/rice milk and sweeten with a little honey and some blueberries/other fruits.

I find this keeps me going happily until lunchtime.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Switch low fat peanut butter (generally unhealthy) to natural pb and I would choose the second. I would rather eat salt + peanuts than 50 ingredients that I can barely pronounce and saying its low fat.

Besides natural PB fat helps lower LDL and raise HDL cholesterol.

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. I have thought of eating natural peanut butter but is it not very oily? I've had a look at the health food shop and it looks much more oily compared to the full fat peanut butter. At the moment I eat Kraft low fat smooth. I assume you guys have Kraft in the US?

6. followme macrumors regular

followme

Natural peanut butter is best if you want to avoid the added sugars, hydrogenated fats and other less than natural ingredients.

Don't sweat your diet too much, just get a good balance of protein, fat, calories, and carbs. Don't go crazy with anything in particular, and don't think supplements are the key to success. Hard work and discipline.