Could we make this an iPhone forum again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lbhskier37, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbhskier37 macrumors member

Am I the only one getting really exhausted with this forum? I understand the few odd switching to android threads but it has gotten to be sickening lately. The iMac forum isn't full of threads about switching to Dell so why is this forum so filled iPhone bashing and talk of switching. If you have switched do us a favor and go over to some android forum and don't bother saying goodbye.

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

3. ckmoose macrumors newbie

4. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Thank you.

Like you said, I don't mind the occasional thread about switching to Android- it's a valid topic for sure. But what I'm seeing is numerous threads started by people who have pretty much made up their minds about ditching their iPhone. Good for you, but why don't you go and find an Android forum that would be much more receptive and helpful with your decision? No need to incite flame wars on an Apple forum- then again, anybody who seems to like Apple here is labeled as a "fanboy".

I like Android... but I come here because I want to discuss the iPhone. Again, the occasional Android topic is completely acceptable, but this place is quickly becoming AndroidRumors.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You think this would be a given when this is an iPhone forum on an Apple centric site.

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

The more direct you are in naming your site (or store), in this case Mac Rumors, the more people will complain and try to turn it in to what they want. All the while they could just go to www.howardforums.com and keep everything on topic.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

What ends up being discussed here is pretty much entirely in the hands of those moderating the forum. If any.

Just sayin'.

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It's inevitable to have discussions of competitor products when a specific product becomes a hit around the world. I'd call out a made up statistic and say for every one iMac owner you'll have ten iPhone owners which is why the iMac section doesn't have the same amount of traffic as the iPhone section.

9. kdarling, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

A few thoughts:

1) With the tens of millions sold, the majority of iPhone owners probably are not really Apple fans, with any associated loyalty. To them, discussing other phones seems natural.

2) It's hard to escape a constant mention of Android and Samsung, simply because Apple is expending so much effort taking them to court. (Personally, I think this is backfiring, not least because of all the publicity Samsung is getting for free.)

3) People tend to stick with a forum they're familiar with. They feel like they're among friends. You see this with car forums, too: people might buy a different brand because of a new family etc, but that doesn't mean they want to leave.

4) iPhone (not Mac) forums seem to have a tendency to attract rabid fans who want to only hear good things about their favorite company. The more they try to make up myths, the more it attracts people who want to correct them.

5) Look at the thread topics. If there were no competing system threads, the iPhone section would be boring half the year because of Apple's slow release schedule.

I do agree that it might make sense to have an "Other Phones" subforum where comparisons and debates can be moved.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Well said.

I have no idea why MR admins don't make a sub forum for Andriod.

11. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

There are plenty of android forums out there for this purpose.

13. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

[​IMG] Couldn't have said it any better. I like both Android and iOS and will correct bad information about either platform.

----------

Maybe because a person started out with an iphone and registered on this site. Maybe people don't want to register on another forum. Maybe the admins should create a subforum.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Amen.
    All this android talk is getting old.
    If I was insterested on droid or nexus or whatever Samsung phone I would join a different forum.

15. Technarchy, Jul 18, 2012

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

When I changed over from android to iPhone I gave the android communities I posted on the respect of not sticking around just to grief members.

To bad others don't extend this forum the same courtesy.

16. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

LOL. Courtesy is a foreign word to many people.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

18. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

I agree idk why it's allowed & put up with in the first place.

19. mcdj, Jul 18, 2012

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Not long ago some dude posted on the iPad forum, asking about the best place to buy a Nebulous Altoid IV or some such tablet. Zero mention of the iPad. No comparisons, no "which is better?", etc....just "where is the best place to buy this (non-Apple) tablet?"

I replied that if someone crashed my party and started asking all my guests for directions to a different party, I'd show him the door quick smart. I also pointed out that if it's ok to create a thread about some random tablet without even mentioning the iPad, then why not open the floodgates and allow people to ask anything about anything? Where can I buy an XYZ Blu Ray player? A camera? Some underwear? What soup do you like? What's the number for 911?

Not only did a mod delete my post, but I also received a warning in my inbox, stating that the discussion of competing products was permitted. For the record, I'm all for discussion here of any XYZ product vs an Apple product, as long as Apple is part of the discussion.

The reason I come here is because it's called MAC Rumors. Not ELECTRONICS Rumors. There are plenty of other places to go to discuss all things non-Apple related. The ability of a forum to stay on topic is the key to its popularity and livelihood. I assumed Arn & Co. would have an interest in keeping things on topic, but I guess traffic is king, regardless of how it's generated.

20. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

This isn't the place to talk about it and the mods will likely (rightfully) shut this thread down.

I started a similar topic a couple weeks ago in the Site and Forum Feedback section. Please voice your thoughts/ concerns there.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1399245

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's not the ton of Android threads that bother me, I actually like being informed about all angles of phone tech under one roof. It's the Android trolling that's getting out of hand. 9 out of 10 Android threads is based on "look what Android has now that's better than iPhone".

22. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

What about those of us that use both? It's only natural to talk about the competition anyhow.

23. buddgeez macrumors member

I think with all of the lawsuits coming from apple, people are coming here to bash them. And I don't blame them I'm ready to dump my iPhone for a Galaxy S3, but my jobs requires iPhones *sighs*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.