Could we potentially use iPhone + Remote App and Apple TV with headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBreatheApple, Feb 1, 2014.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I was wondering if Apple could (easily?) implement a feature into the remote app that would allow us to listen to our AppleTV content via headphones on the iPhone. I would absolutely love this feature.

2. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I can't answer your question. But that would be awesome.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I honestly don't think this would be very useful for me, but I'm not opposed to Apple adding this kind of functionality to the Remote app.

4. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Does anyone know any names of the team that developes Apple's apps? I'd like to look them up and tweet them rather than only submitting a feature request.

5. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Couldn't find any... Tweeted Tim, though! Haha.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

To be honest I don't consume much Apple TV content that isn't iTunes Match or a shared library. Netflix is the biggest third party service and I have that on the phone. What content are you thinking about?

Here's iPhone feedback.

7. cynics macrumors G3

I believe there is a 3rd party app for this. Someone mentioned it in the AppleTV section after a member pointed out that Roku 3 remote has this functionality.

8. rablat, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I believe he was speaking of any content. Using the apple remote app playing a movie lets say from your library but the sound would come through headphones if attached to your iPhone or iPad.

9. cynics macrumors G3

Edit: looked into this a bit further. The app was called AirPhones however I can't find it in the App Store and their webpage hasn't been updated in quite sometime.

10. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Such a bummer! Apple needs to implement this! While unnecessary for some, it would be of great use to others. And it wouldn't be of any burden to those who don't care for it.

11. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

How about being able to connect Bluetooth headphones directly to the Apple TV?

12. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

That would be cool as well, but not as a replacement idea for the iPhone capability. Far more people have wired headphones than wireless and, most of the time, upperscale wired headphones blow bluetooth ones in the same price range out of the water.

I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P7s that I'd love to watch movies with.

13. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

I don't know if this will work, but isn't there a tweak in Cydia for your iPhone/iPad to be the Apple TV speakers? if i find it again i will let you know. You just connect your headphones and it should work, never tried. I will let you the tweak name once i find it.

14. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

That would be awesome! I don't jailbreak my devices any longer. But I would absolutely love this implementation by Apple!

15. anonymousOSX macrumors newbie

Dude - I'm telling you know - you won't think it'll happen when I say it, but it's the future for sure:

Imagine a cloud where you have no devices at all - except just one in your ear (+/- a pair of iGlasses???).

No need for texting, no need to dial, no need to have an item that can be stolen -think like star trek - the messages/calls/voice mail are all audio (doesn't have to be your voice, selection of you or bot). all comms in this way would negate the need for visual comms, secure connections and home backups = more security, games played via you're actions (like Xbox/ps4/3) - everything done from a thing inside your ear.

I really think that this is the future - no handhelds, no mess, just instant real 'cloud' connection - a bit like the borg (without the 'one body/mind/spirit part'.

That's how I see things :D

16. I7guy macrumors G5

Why stop there, let's think big. A micro-chip is embedded into your head...connected to the central computer. The micro chip is also attached to your optic nerve and hearing. Your feet have implantable generating devices that charge all of the microchips in your body.

Everything Is stored on the govt computer in the cloud. Enough space for everyone.

17. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I use my Apple TV quite often but never really wanted/needed this feature. It'd be cool to have, though, and I see no reason they couldn't do it. :cool:

18. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

Apple has removed apps from the App Store that provide this kind of functionality, but I use an app on my Mac called Airfoil Speakers that turns my Mac into an AirPlay device you can select on Apple TV as an output. Having this on my iPhone would be a lot easier, though.

19. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Airfoil had an app for the iPhone that had the ability for it to setup as an Airplay receiver for iOS devices. The version you buy now does not have the feature (I think it will work with Mac's, though). Luckily, they had a roll back option for people that already owned the app, but it doesn't do much for new buyers. I have the app and have rarely ever used it with the AppleTV, though.

The only other option (besides jailbreaking) that I know of is to buy an Airplay receiving device and to put it close to where you watch TV. For instance, I have an Airport Express plugged into a DAC/headphone amp setup next to the bed. I can just send the audio from AppleTV to the Airport Express and listen via headphones (although I have never done it). Of course, it isn't as cheap to go this route, but it is a much better setup for audio.:cool: