Could Xiaomi take #1 spot in the world's #1 and #3 smartphone market?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by EbookReader, Sep 26, 2014.

1. EbookReader macrumors 65816

Xiaomi is now #1 in China, the world's largest smartphone market.

Xiaomi launched about 2 months ago in India, the world's 3rd largest smartphone market. It is very successful there with its flash sales, which are sold out in less than 4 seconds.

Xiaomi will send 400,000 units to India for October. And they are ramping up production for the India market (has to do with different frequency/spectrum).

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/09/26/xiaomi-india-idINKCN0HL18T20140926
    Xiaomi raises Indian smartphone sales goals

Not bad for company that sold its first smartphone 3 years ago.

2. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Thats a lot of info being collected and sent to the Chinese government :eek:

3. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

They might be able to get to the top 3 just by selling to China and India alone.....

4. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

If people was wondering why Samsung market share and units share went down in the last 2 quarters, a big part of the reason is Xiaomi.

Samsung can't compete with a company that sell devices at break-even or very near break-even

1) No marketing
    2) No physical store (aka no physical retailer mark-up)
    3) Flash sales online

----------

http://www.bgr.in/news/xiaomi-is-lo...phones-a-week-in-india-during-diwali-reuters/

The first flash sales crashed the site. I think that's why it took half an hour to sold out. After that, 5.2 seconds or under.

The latest flash sales:

60,000 units gone in 5.2 seconds with over 350,000 registrations to just participate in the flash sales. Each week, you have to register again in order to participate.

Amazon could have a lot of success if they follow this model. Maybe they will learn one day.

5. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Like someone said China and India alone would be enough. The cheap prices and blatant rip off of ios and iphone makes it nice for people in those regions.

6. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Their hardware is nice - I just wish they wouldn't "theme" Android as much as they do. For that reason alone I'd never buy one.

Less is more!

7. viskon macrumors 6502

Do Xiaomi phones ship with Google Play on them ?

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Nice for emerging markets, but nothing I would consider.

9. Oohara, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

My gosh are you a stout defender of these chinese mobile companies. I have to applaud your effort. :)

I'm sure Xiaomi can rack up the numbers and have lots of fine dining and hookers for their top brass, but I don't see them as a serious contender for western markets ever until their drop the copying and start doing their own thing in terms of design. And OnePlus is bound to explode in a fine mist of mutilated flesh, that's only a matter of time.

10. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

A. Who cares?

B.what does that have to do with the 5 billion people that don't live in China or India?

Get back to us when they come up with some of their own ideas and start making waves in countries with less than a billion residents.

11. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

Lol, so many people think Apple is the only company that can make good phones. To give Apple the credits they deserve: yes they disrupted the phone market in 2007 and were original and ahead. Five years later competitors outpaced Apple on specs and features but Apple still won on software. Today: competitors are showing Apple that technology hasn't plateaued. You want refreshing designs? Don't look at Apple. I won't argue that iPhones aren't good. But they certainly aren't the best phones anymore and if you're considering price into it... the gap is widening.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I always love coming to MR to get my daily dose of ignorant xenophobia.

13. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Has more to do with blatant IP ripoff, which is why Xiaomi can only sell in countries like India and China and not in Europe, North America and Oceana.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

No, there are blatantly xenophobic comments about Chinese manufacturers around MR on a near daily basis.

15. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Ahhhh, I see what you are referring to now. NM my last comment.

16. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You realize you're taking issue with two year old comments....

17. AdaminOz macrumors member

AdaminOz

WOWEE! Xiaomi is the brand!

I'd buy one!

If I wanted every single keystroke, and piece of information on my phone to go to these guys

Maybe you do, but anyone with an IQ over 50 does not. WOWEE NOT BAD!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2016 ---
    Yeah everyone hates them for being #1! Not because of the deaths of 80 million people at the hands of their neighbours or the fact they worship money and little else. Don't believe me? Look at Reddit /r/China. They admit it.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Yes and no. This thread isn't the only one I'm talking about. I'm also talking about another person who I'm quoting in this thread. See below.

19. ag29 macrumors 6502

I've never even heard of Xiaomi. Considering their phones are made in China, Most people would assume the quality is very poor..Whether that's true or not, who knows?

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Where exactly does Apple have their iOS devices made?

21. AccenT macrumors newbie

Just let him believe Johnny Ive makes each one of them by hand.

22. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

23. AdaminOz macrumors member

AdaminOz

Assembly of Korean screens, Japanese memory, US radio/wifi chips, Scottish DACs etc in a factory in China does equate to being "made" somewhere.

Assembly isn't making.