Couldn't Apple just put the GSM Radio antenna on the top instead of the side?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by palmerc2, Jul 16, 2010.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Believe me, I love my iPhone 4 and am not experiencing many problems. Really the only problem I have in certain areas is the data comes to a grinding halt when I put my finger in the antenna....

Unfortunately, theres a ton of whiney people out there who think they are so deserving that make this the biggest problem on earth. To avoid all this, which Steve claims they were initially aware of this problem, couldn't Apple of put the Antenna on the top instead of the side? No iPhone 4 user will hold their iPhone on the top. Pretty much 99% of lefties cover this antenna on the side. I would just guess and say 40% of righties will cover this spot with a finger, but that is easily movable.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I read an article last week that says that the FCC requires that the antenna be placed on the lower left corner to keep it further away from the brain.

3. draz macrumors 6502a

We need phones with pull out antennas back on the market!

C'mon Motorola this is your territory

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This is correct. I would’ve posted earlier, but I couldn’t remember the government agency.:eek:

5. wharzhee macrumors 6502

6. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I LOL'd

7. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

hahaha somebody photoshop it! that would be priceless

8. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

hmm, well what about the very bottom? maybe Apple will change the design next year to do that.....who knows

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

They don't specifically require that the antenna be anywhere in particular, but they do have limits to the amount of radiation that can be absorbed by the head...and of course the best way to minimize this is to put the antenna on the bottom, away from the part that's going to touch the head. I'm sure if a company wanted to make a phone with an old-school pull out whip antenna sticking out of the top, that would be fine with the FCC too.

10. draz macrumors 6502a

The bottom is crowded with the dock connector, speaker & mic. So a little higher was the closest. The iPhone 3GS has its antenna near the bottom as well but it not exposed so you won't notice it until you cover up the bottom.

11. Sinfire macrumors regular

What if they put the dock connector at the top, and then put the antenna on the bottom ?

12. draz macrumors 6502a

Then that would be silly. Imagine your phone upside down sitting on your desk. LOL

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it won't be upside down if the screen rotates 180 degrees like the iPad does :D