Counting the votes: How electors pick the president

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 8, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/counting-votes-electors-pick-president-130127926--election.html
    I hate the idea of the electoral college over riding the will of the people, then I see trump and realize that sadly, we are not ready to get rid of the electoral college. like it or not our system is rigged towards 2 major crap houses and BOTH houses need to be flushed down the toilet.

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

get rid of the electoral college......make everybody's vote count the same

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Eliminating the EC would disenfranchise rural voters. Why bother visiting them and proposing policy they want when you can visit NYC and talk to millions as opposed to hundreds, maybe thousands? 6-8 big cities could elect the President.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the little people don't count :mad:.
    good point,,,,,,,,,dad :D

5. Macky-Mac, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it won't disenfranchise rural voters, it'll only reduce their influence towards a level that's more representative of their size of the population.

Changing the electoral college wouldn't change Congress so rural voters would continue to have a greater influence on policy than their numbers would suggest.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2016 ---
    there are far more "little people" whose votes don't count under the current system than there would be by eliminating the Electoral College........yours for example :p

6. 0007776 Suspended

Most rural voters live in states that are reliably Republican so politicians don't visit them anyway. As it is the electoral college effectively limits campaigning to a handful of counties in a couple swing states. And going with one person one vote might mean that some rural voters will see more attention paid to them. For example much of the rural parts of California vote republican pretty reliably. As it is no candidate in their right mind will campaign there, but if we got rid of the electoral college then Republican candidates might decide it is worth it to campaign in California to help pick up votes in the rural parts of the state. The same would hold true in other states that are not swing states but still have significant sections that vote the other way.

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

You eliminate the electoral college and no one outside the top 20 cities matters anymore. Period.

8. 0007776 Suspended

Well even if that were that were true, and it's very unlikely that those cities will be unanimous, we would still be better off than we are now.

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'll be fine getting rid of the electoral college if we have strict voter ID laws.

I ordered a new lightning cable online and picked it up in store. I had to show a picture ID to get my cable. If I have to show picture ID to pick up a $20 item in the Apple Store but not to vote then we have a serious issue in the country.

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Or, if the tinfoil hat liberals and tea party people are correct, it makes no difference since Wall Street buys government and for the benefit of itself, not the people.

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

The top 20 cities aren't unanimous? Go look at the last two election cycles.

12. 0007776 Suspended

Are you seriously trying to say that everyone in the 20 largest cities voted for the same candidate in the last two election cycles?

It doesn't take too much looking to see that in 2012 Both Obama and Romney got votes in each of those cities, for example in New York City Romney did terrible in 2012, but it was nowhere near unanimous for Obama. If you look hard enough you can see that in the 2012 election there were some precincts that voted unanimously for one candidate or the other, but those were outweighed by other precincts. So I can only conclude that you either didn't bother to do your research before you made your claim or you are confused as to the meaning of the word unanimous.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Not true at all.....one person, one vote.......everybody's vote counts the same. Under the current EC system that's not really what happens. It's not even a rural vs urban issue.

14. Snoopy4, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Oh...my...God... Are you really having this much trouble with this? They are unanimous in who won. Win the major cities and it's over. But hey, that's what liberals want. It's a wet dream to let the major cities dictate the course of a nation.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2016 ---
    You get that the EC was developed to ensure the election of the States right? Why the desire to undermine that? It's not one person one vote. It's people of the State electing a President to represent a nation not the will of the major cities. Representative Democracy. It's a thing. It's never been one person one vote, you've totally misused the term.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

as you admit, it's never been one person one vote......but that's what it should be. There's no reason to continue with a system that disenfranchises voters.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Not this liberal..

17. Snoopy4, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

No, it's not how it should be. We aren't a direct democracy, that's left to your state should you choose to operate by mob rule.