County won't charge man who drove into Ferguson protesters at Mpls. intersection

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 12, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/291657611.html

sucks for the victim but its good all around.

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

3. zin macrumors 6502

Have you watched the video?

The occupants of the vehicle were in danger of being severely beaten by the protesters from the looks of it. They simply refused to move out of the way and then attempted to violently break into the vehicle. I would have driven away in the same circumstances regardless of them moving out of the way.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree.

5. sodapop1, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Is this the video that you're referring to?
    http://www.startribune.com/video/283893441.html

First, the protestors only reacted to the vehicle AFTER the driver had almost ran over the victim. And second, according to the police statement:

There is no mention of the suspect being in fear of "being severely beaten by the protesters", he was more concerned about people damaging his car. Perhaps, he was fearful after he almost ran over the victim but that doesn't justify almost running them over in the first place.

6. zin macrumors 6502

Did you watch the same video as me?

When a group of thugs are trying to violently break into your vehicle, they are not doing so to shake your hand and wish you a merry day. I would be fearful of my life if I was inside that car.

The police report says the guy was trying to "flee from the mob". That is as clear as day.

The video clearly shows that people were on and around his car before he ran over the woman. The video also clearly shows that the people were refusing to move and blocking the road.

The protesters learned an important lesson: when you are in the middle of the road, refuse to move, and attack and harass random motorists, the end result will not be in your favour.

Here is another video that shows the incident from a different angle. The protesters clearly were the cause of what happened and attacked the vehicle before the man even drove into the protesters, not after.

I am not encouraging or condoning the practice of running pedestrians over with your car, but when they are refusing to move and jump onto your vehicle, they definitely aren't peaceful protesters and deserve to be forcibly removed by police to stop them from obstructing lawful traffic.

7. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Anyone with common sense would know being in the road comes with risks of being run over especially if you surround peoples cars and try to attack them :rolleyes:

8. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Even in your video, it shows the protesters only blocking traffic by forming a human wall. In your video, the vehicle approaches the wall of protesters and within a few seconds plows through them.

Apparently, you want to characterize the act of the suspect plowing his vehicle through protesters, as the protesters attacking his vehicle. Whatever, I guess. Some people are blinded by the fact that they may not like the protesters or support their cause. Seeing how you keep referring to the protestors as thugs shows your bias. I suppose you would feel the same way if this guy drove through a crowd of people watching a parade.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It was based on the circumstances.

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, it's okay to run over people you don't agree with if they are inconveniencing you. Especially scary black people. :rolleyes:

11. zin macrumors 6502

This is such a mischaracterisation of what happened.

It is not immediately clear in the original video, but the second video that I posted clearly shows the protesters actively run to the vehicle, push against it, sit on it, and then begin to attack it. This all happens before the woman is hit by the car.

The car was driving slowly to get through the people obstructing the road. It only began to speed up when the protesters became more violent. I have watched the video several times and fail to see it any other way.

Those people were not peacefully protesting. They were obstructing the road and acting aggressively towards motorists.

If people were obstructing, pushing against, sitting on, and then attacking your car, you're telling me you wouldn't panic and fear for your safety?

Perhaps it is you blinded by your views of what they were protesting about.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It's ok to flee situations where people are attacking you In your car regardless of the color of the thugs. Here is what can happen when a mob drags you out

13. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I have never been in that situation before so I honestly don't know how I would react. However, if I had panicked and ran over people, I would feel terrible about it and I certainly wouldn't be trying to justify my actions because of some irrational perceived fear.

I have looked at the second video multiple times as well and I see that the protesters did move toward the car but only after the driver attempted to push the vehicle through the crowd.

Your theory about the crowd acting "aggressively towards motorists" really has no merit since if that were the case, why didn't the crowd attack the other car? Perhaps because the driver didn't try to run over the crowd with his car.

And while the term "those people" is less offensive as "thugs", it proves your bias and hostility towards them.

14. zin macrumors 6502

The other vehicle wasn't moving. They were probably too frightened to do anything, or perhaps there wasn't even anybody in that car.

Oh, please! Stop with the mischaracterisation.

I generally have disdain for anybody who is obstructing and harassing traffic for extended periods of time. It has nothing to do with what they were protesting about or the colour of their skin; you are the only person who brought skin colour into the discussion.

15. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Exactly, I agree with you and I would have been very pissed off myself to be in that situation. But as you noted, what got this guy into trouble is that unlike the other car, he didn't what to wait and decided to force his way through the crowd.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

Based on the circumstances that they were protesters?

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Never get out the car in a mob.

Secure your own safety and deal with the fallout later.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

No, based on the "protesters" acting like thugs . Start pounding my windows & car and I will speed away as well

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

County won't charge man who drove into Ferguson protesters at Mpls. intersection

Well there's no one on the roof in the video, and people only start pounding on windows after he's run someone over...... So realistically you think running someone over who's in your way is justifiable is what your saying?

Do you think this one is acceptable too?

http://youtu.be/GnR2ysyaoH4

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Sim. No one needs to be on the roof, no one got in the roof of Reginald deny's truck to pull him out. I will say it was stupid of him to get that close to the protesters thinking they were simply going to let him pass. If there was no "emergency" then Simply waiting for the cops to disperse the protesters should have been his option, that said only he knows why he did not want to wait .
    Cyclist in full gear and expensive bikes are 10 points :p

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

How convenient of you in order to rationalize your disdain towards the ferguson protesters, you attempt to equate them to such an extremely disproportionate example of what occurred during the full fledged LA riots. What a pathetic argument.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Pathetic argument is yours . We had protesters here in a CA, I didn't run over them I simply managed to bypassed them :rolleyes:

23. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I guess in your mind, every protester is a thug who will snatch you out of your car and hit you in the head with a brick. Are you suffering from PTSD maybe?

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yeah. That's it :rolleyes:

25. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1