Couple doesn't let rape victim into their house...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Not sure how to feel about this. Glad this was in the summer and not winter so the poor victim wasn't freezing.... What made the couple think this was just a setup for a crime? I wonder how the couple handled it? Did they just say no and called 911 in a panic? Did they tell her to they were calling 911 and hold on? Did they continue to monitor her just in case the rapist wasn't after her?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/justice/florida-rape-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

The main thing is that they called 911.

Maybe they read this article recently. Who knows

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not going to judge them harshly for not letting her in.

If there was no indication that she was actively being pursued and was in real danger being left at the front door, and there was no indication that she needed immediate first aid then there was no reason she couldn't wait outside.

If the couple called 911 and let the victim know that help was on the way then they did all that was necessary.

4. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Like I said I'm curious at how they handled it. Did they treat her as a possible criminal or rape victim, but with caution? What did they tell her? Did they tell her they called 911 for help? Give her a blanket to cover up? Like I said I'm unsure how to feel about it. The article isn't very specific on it. Just reading from the article, they didn't do much besides called 911 in a panic. But, I know a bit better than to just assume that is what happened knowing CNN probably wrote it to get me to think this couple had no heart, etc.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think it's being good Samaritans versus fearful of being setup in some manner, the sad state of today's society. They did call 911. I won't judge them.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

They probably thought she could be part of a scheme of thieves to steal their house. I personally think is fine that she waited outside while the cops got there. If she was a rape victim, the perpetuator wouldn't go get her in front a house and risk himself being exposed unless he was crazy and armed. They could also have felt that by letting her in they could get killed by the perpetuator when looking for her.
    Or also, there are many schemes to steal nowadays where people use defenseless woman as a trick to steal or kill from you. There was a case not too long ago of a guy helping 2 women that asked him for a ride, they were part of a group that at the end killed the guy violently.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just read the article and it implies that all the couple did was call 911. If that is true, then they could have/should have done more.

Advice from the article ...

To tell you the truth, I'm not likely just going to throw open the door to let her in.

8. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I'm not blaming them for not letting her in. But, the fact it doesn't appear they did much to help her. Yeah they called 911, but it appears they did it for the safety of themselves, not the rape victim. It appears they treated her as a criminal rather than a rape victim with caution. They didn't give her a blanket or try to calm her down, tell her they called the police, etc. CNN's article implies they didn't do much for the rape victim.

Like I said, I can understand them being cautious about it being a scheme and not letting her in, but to not do anything to calm her down or cover her up? What if this was the middle of winter( it is Florida, but it can get pretty cold still)?

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

At least the couple didn't stand their ground and shoot the rape victim.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although they would have been within their rights. :p :rolleyes:

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Can't blame them. On one hand for all they know it could've been a setup.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If it's night time and someone I don't know is at my front door screaming for any reason at all, I'm not opening the door. I'd call the police and let them handle it.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I love all the Monday morning QBs here who would open their front door at midnight to a screaming stranger. Put yourself in these people's shoes. It's easy to say you'd open your door on a forum.

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-fl...ped/-/12983450/20929566/-/b493lw/-/index.html

14. Raid, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It's a very sad commentary on how fear of victimization holds some people back from doing good. I know the homeowners were just being cautious, and living in a remote area can make you feel isolated if you need help... They did the right thing by calling 911, but the more human thing would be offer the woman a safe harbour in their homes, as temporary as it may be. Hell if you're not going to let her in, give her a blanket and stay by the door FFS.

Just as I love all the name calling by paranoid scaredy cats.

I've been in situations where people have been desperate for help, some I was able to help... some I didn't.

I'll tell you what; the situations that I didn't jump in are the ones I regret.

15. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I would have done the exact same thing this couple did. I might have let the girl standing outside know I had called 911 and that help was on its way.

16. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Not saying I would open the door either and let her in. I'm not faulting the couple for acting cautiously because it could have been very much a ruse. But, they could have given her a blanket stayed by the door to calm her down, etc.

Just saying they could have done more than to just let the victim out there screaming in a panic.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Nothing this extreme, but, I have been in situations where I had to choose whether or not to help someone. The simple answer is that you have to size up each situation as it unfolds. Your intuition regarding how genuine someone is can be pretty good. Of course, relying on your intuition leaves you open to being fooled by someone who is an actual amoral psychopath acting the victim credibly. Happens all the time in movies and TV shows, but, in reality, such people are rare. That is a risk you have to take sometimes unless you want to live in a bunker 24x7.

Anyone remember the book The Fall by Camus? Not the same type of situation, but, a similar dilemma. If you fail to act, you may fail to live.

18. rdowns, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In their mind, there may have been others outside trying to get into their home. My first reaction was to let the damn girl in but when given more thought, I think I would have done the same. If you watch the video on the link I posted, the caller was told not to open his door by the dispatcher. If only another 911 caller had followed that instruction.

19. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I agree. Depending on where you live, opening your door at night can be very dangerous. Especially in rare events like this.

What's most important is that they called 911 immediately.

20. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

If it had been a ruse, opening the door to hand her a blanket would've been an invitation for the hidden accomplice to kick the door in and point a gun to their faces. This is not such an unreasonable assumption in other more violent places of the world :(.

I guess that if they got creative they could have handed her the blanket through a window or a back door, but I suppose that the troubling situation left them somewhat paralyzed.

21. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I would have let her in, but only after arming myself and my wife.

22. Ifti macrumors 68000

I dont blame them for not letting her in. They did the right thing by calling 911.

Jeez, whats the world coming to.

23. TSE macrumors 68030

When I was young I remember an old lady knocking on our door during a thunderstorm begging my parents to let her in, they didn't and told her that the gas station was down the street. She kept on pleading, and eventually just gave up, walked away, and with two guys that were hiding on each side of our door went into a car and drove off.

So no, I don't blame the couple for not letting in the victim. Especially if the victim wasn't being actively pursued. They did the right thing. You never know nowadays.

24. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

As I have been saying, I'm not blaming them for not letting her in. It's just not clear how they handled the situation in that did they try to calm her down saying help was on there way?

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

A girl was a victim of a violent crime, the couple called 911, the suspect was arrested. The couple aided the victim while protecting themselves. What are we discussing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.