Couple of (probably very dumb) Watch questions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by alFR, Oct 2, 2015.

1. alFR macrumors 68020

As per title:
    • If you have Siri enabled on the Watch, does it disable Hey Siri on the phone? Or do both respond when you speak?
    • If you're not wearing the Watch but have your phone with you, does movement data collected by the phone go into your Activity totals?
    • If you have the Watch on, are notifications disabled on the phone for apps that have notifications enabled on the Watch, e.g. Messages and Mail? If so, do they automatically re-enable on the phone if the Watch is off/out of range?
    Thanks!

2. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

1. No, they both start listening

2. No

3. They don't get disabled but the watch will make a noise instead. Phone calls they both ring at the same time.

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

A couple is two but you have here three questions which makes a few. /sarcastically joking

I will expand on the already given correct answers.
    1. Siri will be listening on both devices. Assuming you have a new 6S type phone with Siri on all the time, the watch and phone will work together and know which one will answer based on the watch screen being on or off. If you have your watch turned away from you with the display off and the phone can hear you, it will be the one to answer. I do this on purpose at times when I know the phone will be needed for what I'm asking. Some things the watch just does not do.
    2. The only activity that goes into the Activity app is activity detected by the watch. Activity data is then feed into Health. If you have your phone, it will detect steps and feed that data into Health as always.
    3. The phone will detect the presence of the watch or the lack of and work accordingly. If the watch is in range the phone will send the notification and if its not for some reason of you have your phone display on and unlocked already, you will see the notification on your phone. The watch will only get the notifications if you phone is locked and within range of the watch.

4. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

1. Actually your watch only listens when it's active. If you say Hey Seri and both the iPhone and the Watch are enabled but the watch is not active the iPhone will respond. If your Watch is active at the time it will respond.

2. Yes

3. You still get notifications on the iPhone but they won't alert you if the Watch is on your wrist.

5. alFR thread starter macrumors 68020

lol yeah, I had 2 originally but thought of another while I was typing. ;)

Thanks for the info everyone, appreciated.