Couple of questions about my new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Jul 6, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

hey i just got my new macbook pro, 15" 2.4 ghz i5 model. I am loving it and it is my first mac so here are my beginner's worries. sorry if they are stupid questions;

- Top left and right corners of the trackpad aren't clickable. Is this normal? I hardly can click the top middle part of it.

-Computers top left part gets hot. it's not that disturbing with pants but it is summer time and using it with shorts can be disturbing. I will be using this computer for a lot of time so i want to take good are of it. I am checking the heat of it with istat and what should be the ideal heat? after which temperature i should start worrying?

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

that's completely normal with your trackpad.

i always click on the bottom left or right. However, I have my click set up as a tap. That way, anywhere on the trackpad is good.

as far as heat, yep, it's going to get very warm on the top left bottom of the computer - especially if you are doing any type of editing.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Congrats on the lappy! Anyhow, the trackpad is hinged at the top, so you really can't click the top of it, perfectly normal. As far as heat goes, the top left corner will get a little warmer, not sure exactly why, but mine does it too. Also with the case being aluminum, much more of the heat will get transferred through the case, compared to a plastic case. My computer runs between 120 and 140F during normal use (web, itunes, basic stuff), and I don't worry about it unless it exceeds 190 (which it never does). The CPU can handle about 220F, and that is pretty hard to hit, even maxing it out.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Some years ago the industry was hit with complaints about being burned with portable computers on the lap (particularly a problem with Dell at the time). To respond, the industry stopped using the word "laptop" and switched to "notebook". They also recommended that these computers not be used on the lap without something in-between. I bought one of these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80115790